SightSeer 2002 Winnebago 27 class A Queries

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Npostusa

Hi, my name is Nick, and my wife is Jane. We own a SightSeer 2002 Winnebago 27 class A.

To begin, owning a pull behind and a class A are quite different. What I am trying to understand is how long should deep cycle batteries power last once charge? Also, do I need shut off Aux switch once charged, and finally how long could I expect to say run lights if I have two deep cycle batteries charged?

Last edited by a moderator:
How high is up? The answer depends on how many batteries of what size and how much current you are drawing over time. If you run one weak light and not much else it will last a LOT longer than if you turn on every light in the place, along with most everything else that use 12V DC. And do you have an inverter to run a TV, microwave, etc.? It all makes the battery drain more quickly, unless you are plugged in to shore power with the charger going.

If the AUX switch is the one that turns off 12V DC to most of the coach, then it's main purpose is to minimize battery drain during storage, but it must be on to charge and it should be on when the coach is in use, since lights, RV-style fridge, furnace and other things depend on that 12V DC.

Welcome to the forum. Likely other folks will be by shortly to add information, but anything you can tell us about how you use the coach (or intend to use it) might help get closer to an answer.

To begin, owning a pull behind and a class A are quite different. What I am trying to understand is how long should deep cycle batteries power last once charge? Also, do I need shut off Aux switch once charged, and finally how long could I expect to say run lights if I have two deep cycle batteries charged?
Welcome!

They should at least last a long night! But if you want exact numbers of how much you have left and how long you need to charge, install a SmartShunt. That will give you a good idea of your needs. It's measured in AH (amp-hours). The more the better. You will have to calibrate it first for no battery and a fully charged battery. You can tell when it's fully charged for the first time when the charge current drops way down fast. From then on it will give you a "SOC" (State of charge)in percentage. IOW, 50% SOC means you have half the battery capacity left on that charge.

If you mean the switch that turns off the house stuff when on battery only, only turn it off for storage when you will not be using the RV for a while. Keep in on at all times when travelling or even parked for weeks when on a trip.

That way your battery will stay charged up from the converter when ever you have AC power (includes the generator).

Mine is off only when I turn my propane off. Either both are being used or neither.

-Don- Auburn, CA

Welcome! If you have previous experience with a travel trailer then your coach batteries should work pretty much the same as it did with the trailer. The length of time that they will power your lights and appliances depends on the size and condition of the batteries, in any RV. With your class A there is a solenoid that automatically closes when the engine is running to recharge the coach batteries but it then opens when you turn the engine off and at that point things work the same as with a trailer. With 2 deep cycle batteries of typical size your lights should operate for at least 3 or 4 days if that is all that you are using. If you use the furnace that changes things since it draws a significant amount of power and run times depend on ambient temperatures where you are.

The AUX switch is probably a battery isolator switch and if you turn it off the lights most likely will not work.

My post, "How long is a piece of string?" was deleted as not being helpful or welcoming. As a new member I want to apologize to the forum as it was meant as neither. I was simply making an analogy to illustrate the point made by Larry N in post #2, mine was #3.

By that analogy I meant "it depends," as did the post above me. I now have a better sense of the decorum here.

Again, regrets.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom