Signature and hitch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ReadytoRVDK

Hello all.

Finally got started on our adventure. Have a couple of questions.

1) Updated our signature to show what we have.. Do I need to add anything else to it?

2) We have the `cart and the horse`, what do you think we need for a hitch? Am going to check with the local RV place but would like some thoughts other than theirs.  I'm leaning toward the B & W brand but not sure whether I need to get a  sliding one. The truck has a 6` 7" bed.

Thanks

Take a look at the Anderson hitch. Only weighs 38#.  Also look at the Pullrite SuperLite hitch. I like it a little better than the Anderson.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XY6MQM2?aaxitk=TfEDz8CCLL31ar23GrpqNg&pd_rd_i=B06XY6MQM2&pf_rd_p=3fade48a-e699-4c96-bf08-bb772ac0e242&hsa_cr_id=6012379230001&sb-ci-n=productDescription&sb-ci-v=Andersen%20Hitches%203220%20%7C%20Aluminum%20Ultimate%205th%20Wheel%20Connection%202%20%7C%20Gooseneck%20Version%20%7C%20Weighs%20Only%2035%20lbs%20%7C%20ONE%20Person%20Install%20or%20Removal%20in%20Less%20Than%205%20Minutes!%20%7C%20Smooth%20Ride%20-%20More%20Swivel%20%7C&sb-ci-a=B06XY6MQM2

https://www.campingworld.com/pullrite-superlite-20k-5th-wheel-hitch-110255.html?cgid=5th-wheel-hitches#start=15&cgid=5th-wheel-hitches

ReadytoRVDK said:
1) Updated our signature to show what we have.. Do I need to add anything else to it?

Need to? no......... But you can add anything that make you happy. ;D

You can also add a avatar....Pic of your pet, Your Rig....or a Pic of yourself.

I'll let others answer regarding the hitch...It's above my pay grade...In other words...I don't know the first thing about 5th wheel hitches.

You shouldn't "need" a slider hitch.  I don't know of any 5th wheels that aren't designed for maximum turning radius (enough to get you in and out of most places).  That being said, there is this thing called "peace of mind".  Do you feel the need to have it "just in case"?  If you have that nagging doubt, it's not going to hurt anything.  Well, other than your back when you try to take it out of the truck.  Sliders are inherently heavy.  I will say in the 9 years I've been pulling my 5th wheel, I have not "needed" it yet.  I have used it a couple of times just to make sure it still works, and once when the site had a pretty tight turn.  I still don't think I needed it, but it did make me feel better having it.

I like the Anderson, and probably the Pullrite also.  I leave my hitch (a Curt Q20 20K slider) in my truck, because it's just too heavy to take out.  So I would think hard on the weight of whatever hitch you go with, especially if you want to remove it when not towing.

Otherwise, great looking rig.  Good luck, and keep us posted.

Agree with Ed Junior. That Montana has the curved and receding nose that should let it turn sharply without a cab strike, but only careful measurement can prove that before you actually buy and install the hitch. The slider would likely be "peace of mind", but that has value too. That said, I would probably NOT get the slider if it were mine. I've not ever found the need to get past about a 50 degree angle (but maybe I'm a coward?).

Gary RV_Wizard said:
I've not ever found the need to get past about a 50 degree angle (but maybe I'm a coward?).

There is this also.  If I can, I avoid places that require these types of turns and angles.  The one place I did have to use, well, it was just the best looking spot.  It took me a little longer to get in, but that's okay.

Thanks for the responses.

The other big concern I had besides parking was  we are planning travel out west some and was concerned about some of the hairpin turns you can encounter.  I don't suppose those would be much sharper than having to make a right turn.

I've got experience with bumper pulling,  portable generators, utility trailers and such but never pulled anything with a king pin or gooseneck and am a little bit anxious.

ReadytoRVDK said:
I've got experience with bumper pulling,  portable generators, utility trailers and such but never pulled anything with a king pin or gooseneck and am a little bit anxious.

I can tell you, the first time you have that 5th wheel hooked up and look out the rear view mirror, it is a bit unnerving.  It actually took me a couple of times before I got used to that trailer being right in your face...in the rear view mirror.  But after that, it was really no problem, and actually I enjoyed pulling it much better than my old TT.  Well, still do, since I still have it.  But it is a lot of stuff back there, and takes some getting used to.  My suggestion would be to take a short "get used to it" trip to a local campground.  Get used to pulling in and out, get used to parking it (whether a pull thru or back in).  Just get used to everything.  It will help you immensely.

Keep us posted on your new adventure!

I have the B&W Companion hitch and I like it a lot. Going forward it?s almost inconceivable you could hit your truck cab with your camper in your combination, no matter how hard you turn. Backing up, yep, you can definitely get into a jackknife condition where that is possible.

Sig looks fine.

I have an Andersen hitch and dearly love it.  It is easy enough to hitch and unhitch.  There is no requirement for perfectly level alignment.  It is a 5 minute job to install or take out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leblanc77
Back
Top Bottom