Silicone.. Any manufactures NOT using it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rebar

As much as silicone gets cursed all over the net, seems like manufactures aren't listening or could care less..  Iv read even companies like Newmar continue to use it? Anyone who has removed silicone has learned never to use it anywhere, and maybe that's why they continue to?

Anyway,  do any manufactures not use silicone to seal the exterior?

Thanks!

I don't know about all manufacturers, but neither Tiffin nor Winnebago used silicone to seal roof components on either of our motorhomes. They used some type of lap sealant, like Dicor, or other brand. We also had a National RV motorhome, but I don't recall what they used. Winnebago does use silicone to seal things like exterior light fixtures.

Kev

Kevin Means said:
I don't know about all manufacturers, but neither Tiffin nor Winnebago used silicone to seal roof components on either of our motorhomes. They used some type of lap sealant, like Dicor, or other brand. We also had a National RV motorhome, but I don't recall what they used. Winnebago does use silicone to seal things like exterior light fixtures.

Kev

Thanks Kevin.. 

I should add that "I read" Newmar uses silicone because I'm not sure..  But I am sure Featherlite uses it, or maybe it was the company that installed the interior "premier"..  Anywho.  I spent days removing silicone off my featherlite. 

I think it would be a great selling point advertisement..

"No Silicone !"

On my FW, they used silicone on the top flange of all my windows and it also was applied down each side of that flange about 12".  Behind the flange, they used the butyl caulk.  I haven't seen it used anyplace else except maybe the exterior lights. 

Silicone has its purposes, things that it is excellent for, and RV manufacturers use it for them.  Great for a clear bead around window frames, for example.  Don't use it for roof seams or vertical siding seams, but there is no reason to avoid it on general principles.

Winnebago and Tiffin both use it where appropriate.  On the Winnebago sealant call-out sheets, sealants A, B & D are silicone products. Winnie has a n excellent service tip regarding sealants types and usage:

https://winnebagoind.com/resources/service/pdfs/2016-05%20Sealants%20Call-Out%20Sheets.pdf

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom