Silicone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RVRAC

I need to remove existing silicone on one of the sinks and replace it with new one.  What do you recommend for cleaning the area before putting the new silicone?

RVRAC said:
I need to remove existing silicone on one of the sinks and replace it with new one.  What do you recommend for cleaning the area before putting the new silicone?
If you're referring to the counter top, use a razor blade in a holder.
Pat

NEVER EVER use silicone unless it will be between a surface and some form of clamp like the penetration of a tank.  It should never be used as a caulk.

Use bathroom caulk when you replace it, not silicone.  And tape off around the sink hole by about 1/8 inch, that way you can smooth out the caulk with a wet finger.  Then remove the tape when you are done and you will have a nice even professional looking bead of caulk around the sink. 

darsben said:
as silicone does not stick well to most surfaces, any rough dry cloth ought to do a good job
Back in the 80s we used silicone to glue a large bench vice to a stainless steel workbench top.  Several years later we almost had to dynamite it to get it off.

May not have been pure silicone - there are many compounds that use silicone as one component but function as adhesive or caulks.  These days there are even silicone-based  caulks that are paintable (GE Silicone II, for example).  The net is that one must be careful about using the term "silicone" loosely.

In this application, use a caulk that is formulated for kitchen & bath.  The old "silicone" should peel or scrape off and a putty knife, scraper blade or coarse cloth or cleaning/polishing pad (even a Scotchguard Dobie!) will aid in the process.  Once removed, you can wipe with alcohol or mineral spirits if you think there may be an oil residue from the old silicone. Be careful of using lacquer thinner, acetone, MEK, etc unless you are sure it won't effect the countertop or sink (if the sink is a plastic type).

in my experience silicone caulk will mostly peel right up from most surfaces I've worked on anyway....meaning it doesn't really stick well.....mostly...but there always seems to be places that stick well. 

i read something once about removing old silicone caulk and have put it to practice and it seems about right to me....

scrape and tool off as much as possible.
then wipe with mineral spirits (or one of the solvents sold for that purpose...)... maybe soak it a bit.
The residue that's still stuck will swell a bit. 
Tool off what of it that you can...
repeat

For the last silicone caulk clean up project I had to do....I  repeated several times trying to get all the residue off.  Working my way down from putty knife and razor..to scrubbing with a scrub pad and spirits. Worked well I'd say because I was then able to get a decent caulk to stick.

I pretty much will almost never use silicone.  I've rarely ever seen it work as a good seal, and even less as a good adhesive...but it sure does take some work to get rid of it.

Please, Please, Please - pure silicone is evil in almost any application today.  Nothing sticks to the stuff, not even silicone. 

On my last RV someone had tried to use that stuff ALL OVER THE PLACE  - even on the roof and slide.  It took many hours and much eteranbond to seal that trailer back up....

-Kyle

Back
Top Bottom