Simple minds ask simple questions - Chasis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tiercel

Since we can only communicate when we apply the same definitions to words, I need clarification on the term "chassis" as it applies to motor homes.
Am I correct that a chassis manual is the manual for the vehicle year and make (Ford, Dodge, Chevy), and it includes the motor home foundational frame, the cab, engine, and maybe drive train?."

Thanks

Chassis is everything not built as part of the house. Same as a car or truck chassis in that regard.

FYI - some items are kind of a hybrid of chassis and coach. I recently had to have the dash A/C serviced and it turned out the compressor and heat exchangers were "chassis" while the dashboard controls were "coach". The service guy at the big truck service center was unable to diagnose the problem. I ended up taking the coach to Winnie factory service as I figured they would have the expertise to deal with whatever the problem was. they fixed it in less than an hour.

The confusing part for many new RV owners is figuring out who to take a problem to when something needs service. They are not like buying a Ford, and you take it to any Ford dealer and they address the issue. Most motorized RV manufacturers get their chassis pre assembled and then build the house on top. Even then a motor problem may be Cummins, and trans problem can be Allison, and the list goes on.

Trailer builders also often buy a chassis (Lippert) and put the house on it. But since there is no motor or trans, they are more likely to address a problem with the frame, unless it a structural issue.

Figuring out the RV world takes a bit of time and experience.

Back
Top Bottom