Simple question about accordion door latch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tiercel

I have one accordion dood that stays latched for about 10 seconds then pops open. I have pushed the slack in the door toward the latch side so there is less tension on the latch but it doesn’t help. Nothing looks broke and I doubt it ever got much use.

I am sure I can rig something but I thought someone might have good idea on how to resolve this.

Attachments

• 144EAEE0-C9EC-4CF1-ADA7-693D877DF13E.jpeg
    144EAEE0-C9EC-4CF1-ADA7-693D877DF13E.jpeg
    91.6 KB · Views: 21
They are usually simple magnets. So fixing is really easy.

It looks like there is supposed to be a spring clip thing inside the wall where the door "plugs" into it. Could it be broken or missing?

A different type of latch would be my suggestion.

The "stud" wears a little over time, giving the spring clip less to grab on. Sometimes rotating the stud 90 degrees helps, and I've also used a small file to make the side of the groove towards the door jam a little squarer, giving the spring a better bite. Other than that, adding an alternative latch set as suggested would be the way to go.

Here's the door latch. Only problem I see is getting the door jam off to replace the inner part.
Thanks, but I think this is a case of the replacement being a complicated solution with an inferior result. The more complicated part would be replacing the female part of the latch, which might be the issue. I would rather go with a much simpler alternative that has more chance of working.

Might try putting a thin washer between the door and the nylon latch. That would move the groove a little further into the hole.

Thanks, but I think this is a case of the replacement being a complicated solution with an inferior result. The more complicated part would be replacing the female part of the latch, which might be the issue. I would rather go with a much simpler alternative that has more chance of working.
I suggested above turning the male "stud" 90 degrees to expose fresh material that's not as worn. Now that you can see how the complete latch assembly works, you can also why that may help. The female "spring" section only grabs a small area on each side.

Or bulk up the “stud” with silicone perhaps to see if it works. Then replace that with something more durable if it does

Or bulk up the “stud” with silicone perhaps to see if it works. Then replace that with something more durable if it does
I was thinking if simple rotation does not work that a trace of JBWeld on the stud might do it. I always have an alternative latch to fall back on.

Another option would be gluing a rare earth magnet, or two, to the door and a washer screwed to the frame. Put them right near the handle.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opal6502
Back
Top Bottom