Singer Featherweight II Sewing Machine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pat

I think I'm going to buy a sewing machine.  I have lots of alterations to do.  The local sew and vac store recommends the Singer Featherweight II, which is currently on model #118.  Anybody familiar with the Singer Featherweights and whether or not they're very good?  They weigh 11.5 lbs, which is about half normal, and they're supposedly small size; although, I felt the one I saw yesterday looked deeper than other machines and not much narrower.  They have 18 stitches, and the various presser feet are useful.  The buttonhole feature is pretty nifty.  It has a device to thread the needle, but not the machine.  The buttonhole is a top fill, with a clear window to see available thread.  The Featherweights don't come with a case, but one site sells a carry bag, or probably mostly any bag will do.  The best internet price I could find was $179, no tax, no shipping.  The local (Eugene OR) store just about choked on that, but he said he'd match it. 

--pat

Singer used to have an excelent reputation..... This was oh, 30 years ago

Today, I do not know (Which means simply that I've not looked into sewing machines in 30 years, nothign more, thus I do not know)

For all I know they may still have the good rep...

Personally... I have a pair of Kennmores... One I married (Wife's) and one I picked up at a garage sale (mine)

Somebody told me about the Sears Kenmore Ultralight.  (or lite).  Does anybody know how the Kenmore compares to the Singer Featherweight II?  The Kenmore has fewer stitches and doesn't have the top drop-in bobbin.  There's no info on the Kenmore weight, but there's no info on the stitching speed of the Singer.  I'm told the cheaper machines are slow.  Which in my case is probably a plus; although, I might get more competent at sewing someday.  The buttonhole in the Kenmore seems more complicated.

--pat

I did my first sewing with the new Featherweight II machine.  Very nice little machine. 

It's a lot like riding a bicycle - once you know how, it all comes back. 

--pat

I have a white quilters machine and it is easy to set up and light weight.  I have not heard the greatest reviews of the newer Singer machines.  Kenmore has a good reputation in the quilting world along with White.  Let us know what you decide on.

So far the Featherweight II has been ok.  It's slow, but that's about my speed.  The bobbin winder is lousy.  I have done quite a few alterations with it.  It gets the basics done.  Space and weight were big issues for me.

--pat

I had a Singer Golden Touch and Sew and wasn't to impressed with that either.  Finally ended up getting a White heavy duty machine since I have done some upholstering on chairs and couches and it works great for that and anything else I want to sew.  But since I don't quilt that wasn't a consideration.

The Kenmore sewing machines are made by two very reupatable compaines - the top-of-the-lines are made by Janome and the less expensive ones are made by White.  These are made to Sears' specs. 

Both companies have a good rep, as does Kenmore.  BTW, after making the high-end emboidery/quilting machine that Sears wanted and seeing its success, Janome made one identical to it under their own brand name - the embroidery cards are interchangeable. 

Merry (Quilter and former Sears salesbody)

You want an excellent sewing machine look at Bernina or Elna.  Much better than the machines mentioned.  But can be pricey

Nancy loves the Janome digtal machine she bought last spring - it's far superior to the Singers she owned before.  My own sewing skills are limited but the engineer in me likes the Janome too - mechanically it truly "runs like a sewing machine", much smoother and quieter than the Singer and nearly on a par with her Bernina serger.

The Berninas are outstanding machines but in my opinion far overpriced. You don't get double the quality for double the price.

bjohn said:
You want an excellent sewing machine look at Bernina or Elna.? Much better than the machines mentioned.? But can be pricey

Sam has the Elna Quilters Dream maching and another older Elna and likes both.  The Bernina is probaby a great machine but is way overpriced for what you get.  Personally I think the Bernina is more of a status symbol than anything.  Now when Sam went shopping for a machine I told her to get what she wanted and she could have got a Bernina but chose the Elna instead.

Karl!  ROFL!  I was thinking if he was a great machine he should be let out of the cabinet more often!

I  believe Ron made the understatement of the year:  :D

"Sam has an Elna sewing Machine on board that she really likes.  She uses it quite frequently."

The Admiral on this ship, Sharon, just replaced her Singer with the Pfaff quilt/sewing combo.  She loved the Singer so much she decided not to part with it.  I guess that is sort of a backhanded recommendation for the Singer.  she feels it is a great machine in its price range.

As usual, we spent many months researching quilting machines, after the Admiral got bit by the quilt bug.  The Singer just did not have enough muscle for quilting.  The main feature missing on the Singer so important for quilting was the foot that pulls the fabric through from both sides.  Not sure of the technical name for such a foot.  There were lots of other features on the Pfaff that also made quilting easier.

On her short list after several months looking at machines and talking with quilting friends were the Elna and the Pfaff.  The Pfaff ended up being selected over the Elna, only because a dealer is ten minutes away and offers free classes on the Pfaff.

I bought Cindy a Brother Computerized Sewing & Embroidery Machine, SE270D, She loves Disney and all that goes with it. The grandkids all have something Disney embroidered on their clothes...lol :D

The machine is extremely easy to operate,especially the embroidery part, just set it up and watch it do its thing. You can get all kinds of memory cards for different types of applications.

Hey all:

I now know far more than I ever wanted to about sewing machines.  ::) ::)

I thought they were the off-set for Direcway. 8)

Back
Top Bottom