single axle camper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fpotus

I am shopping campers. Im looking at TTs and I know this is the forum for popups/etc. but I have a question about single axle units. I keep narrowing my search down to smaller and smaller units and I am currently looking at a 19ft. Rockwood Geo Pro. My only concern is the single axle. We will be crossing the country twice and running around 60-70 mph in some places. That single axle worries me.

I have all the experience in the world pulling trailers and heavy loads but I have always upgraded when possible to dual axles. Does anyone notice an issue when running interstate speeds with single axles?

Thanks.

Oldgator73

Nope, no problems. Delaware to Texas. Delaware to the Canadian border. To Maine. We took a month long trip with the grandkids; no problems.

Jayflight

I don't tow a tandem axle at 70 mph. But with the single axle check the tire size. If they are 13 inch tires, or even 14 inch, load rating C they are rated at a lower speed than you would normally go with a simple vehicle. On average they are rated at 65 mph. Of course the trailer tires are going faster than your 17 or 18 inch tires on most regular trucks going 65. You will get sway with TTs on the interstate from most tractor trailers thats passing you.. Let me add that in the summer time the China trailer tires don't always fair as well. Many of the manufacturers have started putting the Goodyear Endurance tires on the better trailers. But we normally change out the Chinese tires on used ones too to the Goodyear ones.

Papa Glenn

Single axle isn’t a problem as long as you keep within the load range and speed rating of the tires/axle/trailer. Keep tire pressure where it should be and check them for signs of issues regularly.

fpotus

Single axle isn’t a problem as long as you keep within the load range and speed rating of the tires/axle/trailer. Keep tire pressure where it should be and check them for signs of issues regularly.
I guess my biggest concern is the lack of a backup if and when a tire/hub goes bad.

Papa Glenn

I guess my biggest concern is the lack of a backup if and when a tire/hub goes bad.
I blew a tire at 50mph on a curve (outside tire). Felt it go but was surprised it wasn’t really a big deal. Pulled over, changed it and went on our way.

Papa Glenn

And I still can't get past the ride quality of a single axle versus a tandem.
I’ve towed both and I think it’s mostly the weight. Single axle trailers are lighter so they are going to feel different from a heavier tandem or triple axle trailer.

Top Bottom