single axle camper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fpotus

I am shopping campers. Im looking at TTs and I know this is the forum for popups/etc. but I have a question about single axle units. I keep narrowing my search down to smaller and smaller units and I am currently looking at a 19ft. Rockwood Geo Pro. My only concern is the single axle. We will be crossing the country twice and running around 60-70 mph in some places. That single axle worries me.

I have all the experience in the world pulling trailers and heavy loads but I have always upgraded when possible to dual axles. Does anyone notice an issue when running interstate speeds with single axles?

Thanks.

I don't tow a tandem axle at 70 mph. But with the single axle check the tire size. If they are 13 inch tires, or even 14 inch, load rating C they are rated at a lower speed than you would normally go with a simple vehicle. On average they are rated at 65 mph. Of course the trailer tires are going faster than your 17 or 18 inch tires on most regular trucks going 65. You will get sway with TTs on the interstate from most tractor trailers thats passing you.. Let me add that in the summer time the China trailer tires don't always fair as well. Many of the manufacturers have started putting the Goodyear Endurance tires on the better trailers. But we normally change out the Chinese tires on used ones too to the Goodyear ones.

Single axle isn’t a problem as long as you keep within the load range and speed rating of the tires/axle/trailer. Keep tire pressure where it should be and check them for signs of issues regularly.

Single axle isn’t a problem as long as you keep within the load range and speed rating of the tires/axle/trailer. Keep tire pressure where it should be and check them for signs of issues regularly.
I guess my biggest concern is the lack of a backup if and when a tire/hub goes bad.

I guess my biggest concern is the lack of a backup if and when a tire/hub goes bad.
I blew a tire at 50mph on a curve (outside tire). Felt it go but was surprised it wasn’t really a big deal. Pulled over, changed it and went on our way.

And I still can't get past the ride quality of a single axle versus a tandem.
I’ve towed both and I think it’s mostly the weight. Single axle trailers are lighter so they are going to feel different from a heavier tandem or triple axle trailer.

Been lurking and just joined the forum. after almost 2 years with our Coachmen 192RBS dual axle ~4,400UVW. We're on the fence about downsizing to a single axle or upsizing truck to start cross-country trips next year once I downshift jobs towards full retirement. Looking at going to a single axle that's 3,300 lbs UVW so maybe 4K lbs loaded (empty all tanks). Love the floorplan of the 187RB Coachmen and could trade leaving money in my pocket. The alternative is putting about $20K into a new truck to haul the existing camper coast to coast (at least GA to NV to Montana and back). I'm thinking single axle with the best wheel/tires and TPMS with a 2021 F150 v8 4x4 tow vehicle. Simply not able to spring for a super duty pickup... Or we stick with the F150 and hope it doesn't overheat with the dual axle trailer we have?

Without knowing the payload of the truck and the GVWR of the trailer, it is hard to know.

Unloaded weights of trailers are useless. Use the GVWR.

On the other hand I would think an F150 would pull a 5-6k lb trailer just fine. I hauled my 14’ utility trailer with 3k lbs in it to Daytona and back to Boston several times with no problems. I have loaded it to 7k lbs also with no problem

Without knowing the payload of the truck and the GVWR of the trailer, it is hard to know.

Unloaded weights of trailers are useless. Use the GVWR.

On the other hand I would think an F150 would pull a 5-6k lb trailer just fine. I hauled my 14’ utility trailer with 3k lbs in it to Daytona and back to Boston several times with no problems. I have loaded it to 7k lbs also with no problem
Here's the unloaded/GVWR comparison:
Current trailer tandem axle Coachmen 192RBS @ 4224lbs unloaded (UVW) that's INCLUDING full twin LP tanks / GVWR is 6000lbs (so ~1800 total for cargo & full water/waste tanks)
Proposed trailer single axle Coachmen Nano 187RB @ 3358lbs unloaded (UVW) including twin LP tanks / GVWR is 4700lbs (so ~1400 total for cargo & full water/waste tanks)

I've read the threads about differences in towing of single vs. tandem and have had both types of utility trailers in the past so appreciate we're considering a step "down" in ride quality. But on a full size pickup with good anti-sway hitch and TPMS and upgraded tires on the single axle w/brakes, thinking even with a full size truck, we'd benefit from the smaller trailer by losing some "bulk" and gain a lot of flexibility for adventuring with the smaller single axle setup. Not to mention efficiency in MPG w/fewer tires to maintain, etc.. We are both the "sit outside at meals or go adventuring" type of campers, not the "camper sitter critter" types FWIW.

I think "ride quality" is an oxymoron in a small trailer. The number of axles is of small importance when the trailer has no shock absorbers, basic leaf springs, a short wheelbase and stiff sidewall ST tires. Besides, you don't ride in the trailer anyway. Your gear gets vibrated and bounced, but you don't.

Wheel bearings on a single axle trailer should not be any more concern than a tandem. If you use good quality bearings (ie. USA made Timken bearings and races, and good National seals) and you properly grease them with a good synthetic grease, seat them properly and adjust the nut properly, you won't have a bearing failure. DO NOT use the EZ Lube fitting on the axle, but rather pull the hub, have new seals on hand, remove the seal and bearings, blow out the grease, washing in mineral spirits, blow dry (don't spin) and inspect, then regrease and reinstall. You will go years this way.

You concern is tires. Use good tires, keep them inflated properly, and inspect them regular. If you suspect damage from potholes, etc, give them a good look see.

Use a IR temp gun (even the cheap Harbor Freight one, about $6) and check tire temps for consistent temps.

Charles

Back
Top Bottom