Size matters?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tdrfishoot

New guy here. What length pull trailer or 5th wheel is the longest for a couple to buy, when we want to be able to fit into and visit National Parks in the western U.S., and State Parks in CA?

Background: We have a 2003 29 ft Layton Scout bunkhouse that's reaching the end of its shelf life, and the kids are out of the house. I have an 03 Dodge 2500 quad cab with the Cummins. I'm thinking we need to get a smaller but nicer either pull trailer or 5th wheel for our next batch of trips to Nat'l and State Parks. We live in CA.

Parks vary greatly, and they may have sites that will accommodate an RV of 'X' length, that doesn't meant the campground roads or roads into the campground will make it easy or even possible.  There's not single answer for this question.  There are state parks here in Nevada that I wouldn't try to haul my 16' trailer into... they have sites plenty long but I wouldn't try to negotiate the roads to get there.

Kind of like myself I've got a 31 foot RV and gives me a total length of 52 feet long. There is just some places I will not go with mine either.

If you want to go everywhere, you should have a dual sport motorcycle loaded up with tent camping gear, that should get you just about anywhere ;-)

Size doesn't matter. I would not buy any RV length because of campground spaces. There is always a park you can park at then drive your truck. For example, on the valley floor at Yosemite it is hard to get an RV over 30 feet into most spaces. But the roads around the campgrounds were built by the CCC boys in the 30s and they pinstripe modern RVs. You would be better off staying in El Portal at the west entrance and driving your truck into the park. You can do the same thing at just about any western National Park or California State Park.

There are a handful of places that you may not be able to stay at....Oliver Lee State Park in NM has a 30' limit.  I took my 30' TT there last month, and while I was able to squeeze it in, it was snug.  Aguirre Springs has a 16' limit....there are a couple of hairpin turns on the road...if I tried taking my TT in there, it would have to come back out in pieces or by helicopter.  ;D

But whatever RV you want....there is always someplace near where you want to be that can accomodate it.

Like a lot of things in life, it's a trade off. Living space vs. being able to park in older/smaller campgrounds. 

braindead said:
Like a lot of things in life, it's a trade off. Living space vs. being able to park in older/smaller campgrounds.

So very true.  ;)

Then some people like myself to create there own hide aways in the forest. Typically the idea of going camping or out with the RV is to get away from the crowds and daily life. So I typically look for places where people don't go normally. It's totally wonderful to have the area all to yourself too. Of course this requires some research and exploring around with another vehicle. Just another hare brained idea...  ;)

Mopar1973Man said:
So very true.  ;)

Then some people like myself to create there own hide aways in the forest. Typically the idea of going camping or out with the RV is to get away from the crowds and daily life. So I typically look for places where people don't go normally. It's totally wonderful to have the area all to yourself too. Of course this requires some research and exploring around with another vehicle. Just another hare brained idea...  ;)
We have tons of areas out here in Nevada and the CA desert...  Need to upgrade our TV to 4WD to get to some of the areas safely.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
weat1220
Back
Top Bottom