Skagway

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ned

Moderator Emeritus
Our stay in Skagway has been very nice.  It hasn't rained much at all since the first day, and we've even had some sunshine.  Cruise ships come and go every day and we watch them right out our windshield.  When the clouds lift, we have a very nice glacier across the inlet too.  We're at Pullen Creek, a city RV park, that has 12 sites right on the water with 30A and water for $30/day.  The other 2 parks in town either were full with caravans or much less desireable.  We were fortunate to get the last 2 sites in this section last Thursday, although we aren't next door to Barb and Frank.

Lorna and Barb took the boat to Juneau this morning so hopefully they'll come back with some whale and other wildlife photos.

Attachments

• Cruise ship across from our campsite.jpg
    Cruise ship across from our campsite.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 46
  • Glacier from our campsite.jpg
    Glacier from our campsite.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 45
  • Broadway.jpg
    Broadway.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 41
  • Garden at the Skagway Inn.jpg
    Garden at the Skagway Inn.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 44
  • Ivory carving at one of the museums.jpg
    Ivory carving at one of the museums.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 41
  • Seen on the road to Dyea.jpg
    Seen on the road to Dyea.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 45
Ned? my sister in law and her husband just returned from a cruise to Alaska and she became deathly ill on the cruise.? Quarentined for 48hr and husband for 24 for disentary problems.? ?She's still sick and been home for 10 days. She's about the eightth person in last 2 yrs to become ill on a cruise there.? Told her she should have gone by RV LOL

Some of these cruise ships are so large I'd probably get lost for the entire trip :)  Did they contract the dysentary from the shipboard food or ashore?

There's a stern wheeler docked at the ferry dock this morning and I don't have a camera :(

Ned said:
Our stay in Skagway has been very nice.  It hasn't rained much at all since the first day, and we've even had some sunshine.  Cruise ships come and go every day and we watch them right out our windshield. 

Lorna and Barb took the boat to Juneau this morning so hopefully they'll come back with some whale and other wildlife photos.

Nd:

That cruise ship is probably the Diamond Princss. Last June I stood in her bow looking down at the RV's wishing we were parked there. ;D

Ned  they got it on ship.  Talked to her today and still queezie.

Jeff,

There have been a lot of cruise ships in here in the last 3 days, mostly Princess, but at least one Holland America.  I don't recall a Diamond Princess but it may have been here.  They come in during the early morning and depart in the late afternoon.  Doesn't leave much time for the boat people to see the town, and of course, they don't get to see the sights out of town.  Not my choice of travel mode :)

Ned said:
Jeff,

There have been a lot of cruise ships in here in the last 3 days, mostly Princess, but at least one Holland America.  I don't recall a Diamond Princess but it may have been here.  They come in during the early morning and depart in the late afternoon.  Doesn't leave much time for the boat people to see the town, and of course, they don't get to see the sights out of town.  Not my choice of travel mode :)

Skagway schedule:

Jump off boat and jump on White Pass & Yukon Railroad.
Jump off RR and head for Moe's for a couple  of beers while women shop.
Jump on boat.
Waved goodbye to Rvers sitting there watching the circus.

Jeff Cousins said:
Skagway schedule:
Jump off boat and jump on White Pass & Yukon Railroad.
Jump off RR and head for Moe's for a couple? of beers while women shop.
Jump on boat.
Waved goodbye to Rvers sitting there watching the circus.

Jeff, that looks just like the schedule we had in on our Norwegian Cruise 09/03.? Worked just fine for me!? Now? here we are some 3 years later and I'll be one of those RVers watching? in a few days.

Betty

Betty:

When the boats pull out Skagway is probably a nice place to visit. ;)

Thought of you today driving across SD, clear and 90.

Shayne, another reason I won't take a cruises ship.  Who knows where the food has been :)  I hope they recover soon.

Left Skagway today, the pass was in the clouds, but as we dropped down to the AK Highway, the sun came out and it's a beautiful afternoon and evening.  We were going to stay at Teslin but the CG had all the 30A sites reserved for a caravan (I am really disliking caravans).  We stopped at the Continental Divide Lodge that has a new CG in back and the lodge was closed.  However, the CG is open with 30A electric and water and we are online.  Life is good today :)

Few years back we took several cruises but quit after one adventure about 8 or 9 years ago when we sailed out of Ft Lauderdale to Grand Bahama Island and the blassted ship caught on fire and drifted well past the Island and had to be towed back.  I made national headlines and then the next day the jet went down in the everglades  That ended my sailing and flying, right then and there.  Darn and I enjoyed going to all those different places.  When the fire broke out I was about $300 ahead on the gambling and couldn't cash it in.  Almost had a fight cause I took the chips with me and cashed them in on the boat on the return trip.  And then A?dios to those two methods of travel.  Got back to the MH and drove cause I was fairly sure I could get to the next destination and been doing the same ever since.

Amen to that, Shane.  You couldn't get me on a commercial flight today if it was free.  And after seeing the cruise ships and their schedules, they're as bad as RV caravans.  Way too rigid for us.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom