SKP Co-op vs Rainbow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smoky

what are the differences between the SKP Co-op vs Rainbow parks?  I have been reading the Escapees handbook and the more I read about it the more confused I get.  Anyone got a plain English description of the differences?

Basically, the Co-Op parks are just that - independent co-operatives comprised of people who pooled their money and developed a RV park. There's no legal tie to Escapees, Inc. - each park is owned by the independent co-operative - but Joe and Kay Peterson provided expertise during the formation of the co-op and construction of the park. In return, each Co-op's bylaws contains language restriciting membership to Escapees members and allowing travelling Escapees to stay there when space is available.

When you "buy a lot" in a co-op park you aren't really buying real estate. Instead, you're buying a share in the co-op that gives you the right to use a lot on an exclusive basis.

All taxes and other park expenses (common area maintenance, water, trash, sewer) are covered by the co-op. You do pay for the electricity you use. Revenue comes from overnight camping fees and an annual maintenance fee paid by each co-op member.

When a co-op member (a "leaseholder") leaves the park to travel, they have the option of putting their vacant space into the park's rental pool. Travelling Escapees can then rent the space and the revenue is split between the co-op and the leaseholder up to the amount of the annual maintenance fee.

When a member decides to leave the park for good, their membership share is re-purchased by the co-operative at a pre-set amount, then sold to a prospective member. Usually this is the intial membership fee and the depreciated cost of any permanent improvements the member may have made to the space.

Rainbow Parks are owned and operated by Escapees, Inc (a private corporation comprised of Joe and Kay Peterson and Bud and Cathy Carr). Escapees owns the common areas within the park, including a campground for the use of travelling Escapees. The parks were financed by selling individual lots with the park boundaries. Lot owners have all the rights and responsibilities of real estate ownership - they can develop their lots as they wish as allowed by zoning codes, are responsible for their own property taxes, and can sell their property at any time at current market prices.

Park expenses are covered by the revenue generated by the overnight campground. Lot owners are not assessed annual fees.

A few years ago, changes in real estate law made it impractical for Escapees to develop new Rainbow Parks by selling lots within the park. So they developed ERPU - Escapees Rainbow Parks Unlimited. These are long term leased spaces within several of the owned Rainbow Parks.

The lease terms are pretty good - you pay the initial 5 year lease fee, then $1 renews it for another 5 years. When you leave, the full amount is refunded to you - Escapees keeps the interest earned by your money.

Thanks Lou for a wonderful breakdown.

We are seriously considering getting on a waiting list for the ERPU 5 year lease.  Anyone know of any reason why this would not be a good idea?  Anyone know which parks are the best and which are the worst to consider, or pros and cons of various parks?  Livingston looks like a good possibility, but we have yet to visit our first Escapee park.

Smoky said:
Thanks Lou for a wonderful breakdown.

We are seriously considering getting on a waiting list for the ERPU 5 year lease.? Anyone know of any reason why this would not be a good idea?? Anyone know which parks are the best and which are the worst to consider, or pros and cons of various parks?? Livingston looks like a good possibility, but we have yet to visit our first Escapee park.

I would suggest traveling a while and check out the different areas before considering getting on a list.  What may seem like an ideal park to others may not be what you would consider acceptable.  Besides Big Sky is to travel in not set in some park. ;D ;D  Travel for 50K miles or so and check out the areas that you might be interested in.

Yes indeed Ron!  For sure the first year we will be doing much more travel than settin'.  But we keep thinking that down the road a long range home base would be nice.  So it might be interesting to hear the pros and cons of various Escapee parks.  I heard this week for example, (met Liane and Don Holder at Cherry Hill campground) that the Livingston park even has assisted living for RVers that have hung up their traveling tires.

Several framily members like Sutherland OR SKP park. I think it is a co-op.

Smoky,

Bev and I have made it a point to vist every SKP park we get near to -once when I was on a job search in FL! So, we highly recommend you visit them all and especially Rainbow's End. We stayed right across from the Care Center. It's a great part of a grea organization. One day we may find ourselves on a waiting list for a space. It could be at one of the two here in NM, or in TX or in AZ or in hmm. . .too many choices, all the time in the world!

Back
Top Bottom