sky light leaking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tbart16

I have  a wildwood with a skylight above the shower we just got some pretty heavy rain herein PA over the weekend and the sky light started leaking I removed the inside trim to get some air to the wet wood  any advice on how to stop the leak roof is in good shape no obvious rips or tears
thanks
Tom

Tom,

Assuming the skylight itself is not leaking, you may need to clean and re-caulk around it. Click Here for a description and photos of a similar repair I did myself just a few weeks ago.

However, my roof is fiberglass and it sounds like yours might be rubber. Maybe someone else can share their experience of doing this repair on a rubber roof.

I did a couple of sealing attempts on roof but  then was told how to do it. You need to scrape off all the old stuff all the way down to screws. Clean it up and use ample amount of self levelling sealant.

That solved my problem.

Bob

tbart16 said:
I have? a wildwood with a skylight above the shower we just got some pretty heavy rain herein PA over the weekend and the sky light started leaking I removed the inside trim to get some air to the wet wood? any advice on how to stop the leak roof is in good shape no obvious rips or tears
thanks
Tom

Sounds like you are past time to re-caulk.  Check with your manufacturer to determine which caulk is applicable to the area being caulked.  After cleaning all the old caulk in the area re-caulk with appropriate type caulk.  I also recommend using Eternabond tape over the caulked area.

thanks every one  ;D  It has actually been showering here for the past 2 days and  the leak is gone.  ??? This weekend I am going to remove the old caulking and re seal the sky light thanks again
Tom

I bought an old (1976) trailer that had a roof leak around the roof vent. When I bought it, I knew I had to do some roof repairs.

Just in case you don't believe the kind of damage that water can do - take a look..... Norm's Trailer  The roof beams were so rotted that I could crush them with my fingers, and the ceiling material felt like paper!

Took me about a month (and around $100 in materials) to repair, but no more leaks. 

Good idea to check your roofs and vents for leaks or you could end up with a repair like mine.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom