Skylight covers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Monarch4me

Don't know if that's the correct wording but we have 3 of them and one is right over our bed so if we want to sleep past 6am it's imposable with the light, so we were thinking of blackout curtain material and Velcro them to the frame. Any ideas would be welcomed, thanks

Get a piece of seat foam and cut it to fit in the opening. Cover it in a fabric to match the room.

As a bonus it will also act as insulation during extreme temperatures.

Some folks buy or make small cushions/pillows that they shove up there. Oops, Gizmo beat me to it.

You can also get a shade that attaches directly to the vent frame, just like a window shade. Roll it out when needed, and you can still leave the vent open.

These are the pillows talked about earlier:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-SunShield-RV-Vent-Insulator/29764495?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227021475683&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=40839451232&wl4=aud-566049426705:pla-78652896992&wl5=9002499&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=29764495&wl13=&veh=sem&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIh5utwsvk4gIVF1YNCh0-Gg3SEAQYAiABEgICRvD_BwE

[quote author=HappyWanderer]... a shade that attaches directly to the vent frame, just like a window shade.[/quote]

We have them on our boat, and they work quite well.

We cut some 1? styrofoam to fit the vent openings, then used spray adhesive to attach aluminum foil to one side. The foil side faces up and keeps out the light as well as provides some insulation.  Additionally, I was concerned about the thin plastic skylights themselves holding up in the Florida sun, so I made some covers for them as well. I screwed some metal roofing cut to size to a couple of lengths of 4? pvc. The pipes keep the metal situated just above the plastic and protect the skylight from the sun, as well as the occasional broken branch or pine cone. I remove them when we?re traveling, but when we camp in S Fla during the summer, I bring them along and put them in place once we get set up. Plenty of light still gets in, but the a/c doesn?t have to work as hard.

You can buy items designed exactly for this and they fit exactly in the hole.  Should be available at any RV store or they should be able to order them for you.  You can probably even find them online.

Rene T said:
These are the pillows talked about earlier:

We found these on Amazon and find that they work great. There is a ribbon on one edge, so even short little Wifey, here, can take them down or put them up. (I just can't reach the knob to open/close the vent over the fan even though ours are on wall switches. "Oh Simon, could you...?")

-Giselle

Back
Top Bottom