Skype Anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smoky

I am thinking about using this during cell phone peak hours to communicate if I can get a few friends and relatives to load up on it.  It might be just the ticket for fulltimers using satellite on the Internet.

It's free, and there's no spyware, adware, or even advertising. You and your buddy both need a broadband connection, a copy of the software, and a cheap microphone. (I'm assuming your PC already has speakers.) Skype's voice quality surpasses that of a landline phone, according to PC Magazine, --it's CD quality. That's because Skype has an extraordinarily good codec, the software that compresses your voice at your end and uncompresses it at your friend's computer.

Ayone ever tried using Skype?

Smoky said:
I am thinking about using this during cell phone peak hours to communicate if I can get a few friends and relatives to load up on it.  It might be just the ticket for fulltimers using satellite on the Internet.

It's free, and there's no spyware, adware, or even advertising. You and your buddy both need a broadband connection, a copy of the software, and a cheap microphone. (I'm assuming your PC already has speakers.) Skype's voice quality surpasses that of a landline phone, according to PC Magazine, --it's CD quality. That's because Skype has an extraordinarily good codec, the software that compresses your voice at your end and uncompresses it at your friend's computer.

Ayone ever tried using Skype?

I have it on all my computers and I know that Tom Gosner of Rversonline is/has used it with good success.

We use skype to talk to our friends in Nova Scotia.  Works good most of the time.  Occassionally your voice will get wavey.  When this happens we just try later.  You can't beat the price either.  On the Satellite you do experience some delay but on gets use to it.

When I get a spare moment (hard to do in recent weeks) I will download it and see if I can test it out with you and BB.  I think I will put it on the desktop rather than the laptop.

Smoky said:
When I get a spare moment (hard to do in recent weeks) I will download it and see if I can test it out with you and BB.? I think I will put it on the desktop rather than the laptop.

Let me know when your ready to try it out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom