Skype VOIP voice over internet protocol - Video

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ron

Moderator Emeritus
We have been using Skype computer to computer over the internet to talk friends in Nova Scotia.  A while back Skype introduced the video feature.  Using a web cam we just began enjoying seeing our Grand Daughter in League City Texas over a skype VOIP setup.  Sam thought this was  Kinda cool. Using VOIP over a satellite system does have some latency but over all we have been very satisfied with the performance.  Ned, Don & I were all on a conference call using skype the other evening.  Have also talked to Chet with video feature operating on several occassions.  Any other of the Framily using Skype?

Ron,

I've tried using skype but most of the time it isn't good. Guess that's due to the 56K circuit instead of broadband. Maybe next winter I'll have DSL and can try it again. Might even try to get DSL in CT this summer.

I did speak to Terry at Christmas time and it wasn't bad. He could hear Pat fine but had a problem with me. Also spoke to Liliane very briefly when they were at the Arctic Circle. To me that makes skype worth every penny we pay for it. ;D ;D ;D

We also spoke to the Nathans just after the first of the year.  Worked pretty well for us.  Seems like Skype improves with every new version they release so it is best to keep updated.  We are currently running Skype version 2.0.0.21.

I use Skype and have spoken several times with Ron.  Hey Ron I need to dig my little Internet camera out of storage so I can try it out with you.  :D  Great idea about using it with the grandkids.  Even the pc illiterate Admiral is interested!

Smoky said:
I use Skype and have spoken several times with Ron.? Hey Ron I need to dig my little Internet camera out of storage so I can try it out with you.? ?:D? Great idea about using it with the grandkids.? Even the pc illiterate Admiral is interested!

Even my Admiral is impressed when she was able to see Alex,  Get the web cam out and give us a call.

We just finished talking and watching our grand daughter in League City.  Neat Technology to be able to see the grand kids.

Ron said:
We just finished talking and watching our grand daughter in League City.  Neat Technology to be able to see the grand kids.

Ron, its a slow day here so was looking at the Skype for the first time. Guess I need to try some test calls to figure it out.

Basically what does it cost in general terms? I see they gave me a 10 dollar credit which I will receive sometime. Currently my accounts shows .20 so guess that is for test calling. I made the sign on automated test and it worked fine. Even I could hear it!

Guess the video would be a plus but for plain voice I have minutes on my Verizon cellphone I never use.

I know one guy who has it and I find him in the directory OK. Now to call him, how does he know I am calling? Does he get some message on his screen provided he is online? In other words how do you make a 'handshake'.

I don't have grandkids to video with as mine are too old to mess around with me other than an occasional voice call, and don't have great grandkids yet. I was in a Disneyland gift shop not long back killing some time and lady asked if she could help. I said no, my grandkids are too old for this stuff and don't have great grandkids yet.

Bob

Skype computer to computer calls are free even the video is free to use.  Then there are two services that cost called skype in and sktpe out.  Skype in allows calls to be made in to your computer from a land line while Skype out allows you call a land line.  We have never used either Skype in or out.  We use only the computer to computer feature and the video.  You can download Skype for free.  To use Skype in or out you need to set up an account.  I think these calls cost $.02 or $.03 a minute.  Skype can be downloaded free at: http://www.skype.com/download/

I've tried VoIP using the Gizmo software (a competitor to Skype) and also through the Yahoo& MSN  Messenger chat software and its works quite well as long as both computers are on high speed connections (in our experiments, both systems were on cable tv/internet  connections).  Mostly we just grab the cell phone to talk, though.

Mostly we just grab the cell phone to talk, though.

We do to except when talking to friends in Canada.  That can get pricey on a cell phone.  You just can't get live video while your talking to the grandbabys on the cell either.

Barb said:
We downloaded SKYPE last nite. Got it working on both laptops, and the web cam. It's pretty cool.

Barb
Currently in Indio,Ca

Great.  Just answered you PM.  We talked to our Grand daughter in League city yesterday.  It neat being able to see her while talking on skype.

Ron said:
Skype computer to computer calls are free even the video is free to use. 

Ron,

Do you use a special headset with your computer to use Skype? 

Phil

Phil said:
Ron,

Do you use a special headset with your computer to use Skype??

Phil

Usually I use the speakers on the laptop and a mike portion of the headset mike  that came with the logitec web chat camera.  Have on occasion used the headset when Sam was on the phone with her mother.

Phil,

Radio Shack has the Skype-branded earbud with the mic built into the cord. Comes with software cd and a card good for 30 free minutes of Skype to use for calling regular phones. Don't know if the sale is still on, but they were selling them "Buy one, get one free" - $10 (plus tax) for 2 of them.

Back
Top Bottom