Sleek Interior Designs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pamwinn

We are in the market for a lightweight TT or 5vr that we can pull with a Tundra. We have found many but none that we are comfortable with. We like the sleek interior design of Airstreams, but they are too expensive for our needs at this time...maybe later. We have looked at the Que but it's a little too small for us. Are there any other choices that have nice clean lines on the interior where the manufacturing doesn't try to make it look like a cheesy mini house?

That's good advice. I am wondering, when people purchase their first RV, how long does it take to decide what kind to get? We are not looking to purchase our final RV at this point...just our first RV. We don't want it to be of such poor quality that we are turned off completely either. If we are dealing with faulty plumbing, leaky roofs and windows, electrical malfunctions and the like on our first trip out, we might end up in a condo in Seattle or Vancouver someday. 8^) Our pipe dream includes full timing or at least heavy part timing when we retire. We have looked at everything and vascillated between, trailer, 5th wheel, class A,B and C. The only thing we have really concluded is that we don't want to go down the road with 60 feet behind us and we don't want to struggle too much if we need to pull in to a grocery store while on the road. We like quality, we like big showers and we like designed for 2. We really like the fiberglass RV's especially the Bigfoot stuff, even though the interior is a little too "early american" in decor.

We don't really want to buy a new tow vehicle as we are both still working and have a perfectly good tundra and 4 runner, so for our intro, we are looking at the lightweights. This would change when we retire. Personally, I like the scamp 5th wheels in concept but I can't fins any interior photo's or much other info to either add or scratch it from my list of possibilities.

We decided on a Maxlite for some of the same reasons you are talking about. There are cheaper travel trailers but the fit, finish, and interior sent us to them. You need to look at all of them and decide what you like though. The biggest problem looking is that everyone sells the best one there is and tries to pressure you. Find a dealer that will let you make a test tow to see if you can handle it.

It's a difficult decision. We don't live very close to any dealers so looking is a saturday thing. There is one dealer near here but the inventory is small and I would never buy anything there. Some friends bought a new trailer from them less than a year ago and have already had 3 blow-outs. They are very fortunate they did not lose their trailer...flying chunks of rubber did some damage though.

This will be a decision that takes a long time. I will continue to read the board and learn as much as possible.

Thanks for the reply. :)

We are not looking to purchase our final RV at this point...just our first RV. We don't want it to be of such poor quality that we are turned off completely either. If we are dealing with faulty plumbing, leaky roofs and windows, electrical malfunctions and the like on our first trip out, we might end up in a condo in Seattle or Vancouver someday

Unfortunately even the best RV brands seem to be subject to  uneven quality control - the incidence of lemons is disturbingly high for such a high-priced product.    That said, buying a higher-priced brand is probably your best hedge against quality problems. And if you don't get one of the lemons, the basic plumbing and electrical stuff works well in most all of them. The observable quality differences between low and high end rigs will mostly be in cabinetry, furnishings, flooring materials, insualtion and that sort of thing.  Most all rigs use the same appliances and system components, though the high end models may use slightly enhanced versions (bigger fridges, 10 gal water heater instead of 6 gallon, etc).

Buying used is actually a good way to avoid major problems - the wrinkles have generally been ironed out of a used rig. A 1-4 year old used rig is often in like-new condition and all the systems are "working as designed".

Taking your time in finding the right RV is actually one of the more difficult parts - you tend to get overwhelmed by the offerings and differences start to blur, while your enthusiasm to "get going" pushes you make a decision (as do the salesmen).  Try to resist. On the other hand, you have to get in and get your feet wet sometime, so it doesn't pay to agonize too much either. Buying with the attitude that this is a "first RV" is wise, I think, so make the financial decisions accordingly.  You will take a bath on trade-in, so don't get so heavily into the first one that you cannot swap it out in a year or so.

Look at the Award trailers (Award RVs). When you see the prices, remember it's Canadian bucks. I think they also used to have a fifth wheel which they made on a special order basis. Check with them. They make quality RVs.

Also, take a look at the Shadow Cruiser line. (Shadow Cruiser). Their Land Roamer fifth wheels are among the few with king size beds. They used to make a smaller streamlined fifth wheel that was pretty slick. Might be able to find a good used one. Here's a link to  one that's for sale so you can see the pictures of what they look like: Shadow Cruiser 5th Wheel

I really like the floorplan on the 23' Award. Thanks for the link. We actually went to the RV dealer selling the used shadow cruiser today after voting....played hookey the rest of the day. :D

Back
Top Bottom