Slide Cable Replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeff R

2018 Keystone Montana High Country 5er. Bedroom slide will only retract a few inches then it stalls the motor. Upon further inspection, I see that one of the cables has frayed and is binding in one of the pulleys/rollers. So I am 99.9% sure this is the problem and I know exactly which cable it is. Question is... Can I order that specific cable? Do I need to remove it and get a specific length before ordering? Replacement looks fairly straightforward but I suspect there is a final tension adjustment to be made. Any source for that part would be appreciated as well.

Thanks
Jeff

You need to identify the manufacturer (brand name) of the slide mechanism, e.g. BAL Accu-slide, Lippert Fast Track, etc.
There is information available online, including YouTube videos, but you have to know which one you have first. I saw one report that indicated that Montana used the BAL Accu-slide but I can't vouch for the accuracy of that. Here's the Accu-slide service info document:

You can purchase slide cables, and the entire kit off Amazon. Here's a link: Click here.

You will also need to get the crimper and the cable cutter tool. The cables come with plenty of length for any slide. The most difficult part of an install in feeding the wire over the pully's, actually access them because almost all the slides are in very tight quarters on the sides. That is the purpose for that cloth sleeve. You put the old cable in one end, the new cable in the other, tape both ends so they don't slide out, then you can use the old cable to pull the new one over the pully's and "HOPEFULLY" make it easier feeding the new one in place. But I've never been able to do that, because mine break and come through the holes. I still had to feed it, tug, pull, and cuss a little.

Here's another link to the Montana Forum where I posted my back to someone else who had a broken slide. Click here.

In addition, YouTube.com is full of videos explaining how the cable slide system works. A simple search and you'll have lots to view. Start with the BAL videos, I think they are most straight-forward videos. Branch out from there.

Better than Amazon might be a commercial supply house like Graingers and buy good quality cable. If your doing one side, do both sides. Cables do stretch, so you will better off with doing both.

Thanks Dutchman. Looks like we have the same rig, except 1 year apart. You came along at just the right time as I have experienced my first cable failure. Appreciate you sharing your experience and confirming the BAL brand.

The Kits for the accu slides on my Rig did not need a crimper.. Just a wrench or 3 and a screwdriver and ... Well of course that only worked if the cable was not pulled out.. Mine was.> But i was able to replace it

Look up our member “pipepro”. He just replaced one of his cables last month. He says he has the crimping tool for sale . You may be able to call him and pick his brain

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom