Slide hydraulic leak on '05 Journey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Greetings all I have also successfully removed the ram from inside the rectangular tube on the rear slide. Two things I have learned and will add here.
One the nut that holds the ram to the end cap is a tight fit for a 1 ¼" socket. I'm wondering now if it might be a 32mm as I had to tap the socket on it with a ballpeen. (I said tap not drive. The lands were clean and paint removed. Even so it scored the lands of the nut. Will find a 32mm to check it against. A 1 ¼ is 31.7mm.
Two the plate behind the battery tray is sealed with black silicone sealant. Making removal a challenge to perform without bending said plate. I used a 2x3" steel wedge tapered from ⅜ to 0" to start it then used a flat screwdriver to work it loose. taking my time so as to not bend the plate.
I had time on my side for reliving hydraulic psi so as to not make a huge mess. Using an old t-shirt as a rag and an old bread pan my wife tossed out, as a catch basin for drips. (No I didn't raid her backing cupboard , discretion is the better part of valor)
I have sent the ram over to a local hydraulic shop for rebuild as it is off a 2003 Winnie 34' . Newer models are aluminum and welded. so really throw away when they start to leak.

Hey all I have finished the job. Ram reinstalled. As it turns out the nut was a 32mm. But not 32mm as you would expect. To my surprise there is a difference between 32mm and 32mm axle nut size. Even though it was a jam nut it wasn't the standard 32mm.
I had a bit of a time bleeding the air from the system and in the process ran the reservoir out of fluid . It had been filled with ATF dextron111 (red in color not HWH yellow) so it was start from the beginning as far as air purging was concerned. Lots of foam at the cracked fitting. The slide would not retract evenly and would bind on the rebuilt ram side. I did find that it would retract just fine if I un fastened the outer nut on the ram that had not been replaced. After more air purging I finally got a steady stream of fluid. I tried to retract it with both rams attached to the slide. No go. So I did the only thing I could think of, I prayed.
Asking the Boss to fix it for me.
(My Boss is a Jewish carpenter) I
trid to retract it a few more times. Still it would bind up. So I called the hydraulic shop. They told me to bring it in.
. I then un did the ram that wasn't replaced and retraced the slide. Sofar so good. I retracted the living room slide and went out to stow the shore power cord. Hydraulic fluid was pouring on the ground.
Guess who over filled the reservoir?
After a quick clean up I fired the old girl up.
Upon arrival at the hydraulic shop. And having got the attention of the mechanic I went to show them how it was binding up. We extended the slide, attached the nut to the unreplaced ram. And then went to retract the slide on both rams.
This time it came all the way in and did not bind. (My boss has a sense of humor) we repeated the extend and retract several more times without incident.
I drove it home.

I’ve been off the forum for a while, sorry I missed your post, I’m out on Whidbey Island, I could have run up and cheered you on! Glad you got it fixed....oh yeah, I needed the Jewish carpenter too, but I don’t think he wanted to get too close considering my language at times during that project..LOL!

Well I appreciated the procedure as you described it. It got me most of the way through the whole mess and on to the air purging, where I started to over think things.
That's when the lovely Miss Jillie
reminded me that my step daughter's (the Marine) MOS was pneumatics, Diesel and hydraulics.
A quick call got me back on track.
As a side note. The Marine used to go to Whidbey trolling for sailors, back before she joined the corps.
Lol

The ram is held on to the end plate with a 1 1/4" nut..with what I believe to be loctite..that MFer fought me all the way to the end to come off!! I wish I had a socket that size. I ended up using 2 pipe wrenches, one to hold the ram at the very base next to the plate, and the other to turn that damn big nut!!

Just FYI,
To tame the red loctite just heat it with a hair dryer, or other safe source. It will turn to liquid and can then be easily removed.
Discovered the big nut is a lock nut, heat won’t help

I have a 2004 Winnebago Journey with a slightly leaking ram drive. My RV service shop ordered a replacement from HWH in March 2021, yes March 2021. HWH as of yesterday cannot give a delivery date. They say it is both getting material and man power. I just put a towel down over the top of the ac power cable and check fluid. Any suggestions?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom