Slide out is a few inches higher than main floor?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Camerong

We think we have our TT picked out, but the slide out is a step up, not level with the rest of the camper. It seems like for the location of the seam, this is minimal. Any thoughts or advice? Picture below. Thanks!

Attachments

• 48A6D49F-7050-4F53-874C-A42FC1A391AE.jpeg
    48A6D49F-7050-4F53-874C-A42FC1A391AE.jpeg
    218.3 KB · Views: 42
Pretty normal configuration. Slides that drop down to level are a bit more complex in design and operation.

Thanks. I never noticed that in any others we looked at. But this model is lighter and less expensive than a lot of similar TTs with no step up, so I think we can live with it.

The "flush floor" slides are a more complex mechanism and thus more expensive. Raised floor slides are typically 2-3" above the main floor. Not a problem if there are furnishings on the slide, e.g. a sofa or booth dinette because you wouldn't be walking directly from main to slide anyway, so no "stub the toe". However if the slide is more open in its furnishings, e.g. a free standing table or a single recliner, you will have to remember to "step up" as you transition.

Having replaced my "Flush floor" slide.
Actually they are not all that much more complex at all.. just a beveled edge on the mating surfaces is the only differnce that I coudl see.

Both of my slides are higher than the regular floor, but one has the kitchen cabinets and sofa hanging over the edge, so there is no obvious height difference. Personally, I see that the configuration in your photo as being very dangerous because I can guarantee you that I would trip over it at least once per day! On the other hand, I need to replace my couch but it is going to take a couch that has been modified to sit on the higher slide.

My bedroom slide goes under my bed, so there is only a height difference when you enter my bedroom, but luckily I have tripped on it only twice in 9 years.

One usually steps up into a booth dinette anyway, so a lip there is not very bothersome. However, that bench seat at the far end is sitting on a shelf and that seems like great potential to trip at the lip. The size of the lip seems high in that photo too. Could it be as much as 6"?

Have to wonder if perhaps the slide rails or other mechanism is "surface mounted" under that elevated slide floor.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Back
Top Bottom