Slide out seal conditioner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1blue78

I am wondering if there is any difference between the regular 3 in 1 silicone spray and the more expensive 3 in 1 slide out lube. Any thoughts?

Mostly the price. The rest is marketing more than engineering. 3-in-1 has labeled their family of spray lube product for a number of specific applications, e.g. RV, window track, locks, etc. With maybe some small variation in the formula to justify the different label. I'm not knocking 3-in-1 - they make a good lube product - but don't fall for the label hype.

Anything with RV on the label is typically higher priced because some percentage of the audience will assume it is somehow better formulated for RV use. Compare the ingredients on the labels, but generally anything advertised as a rubber lube or preservative will be pretty much equivalent.

Just found this thread thru the search feature. Thanks Blue for asking and Gary for answering. I suspected this was the case, again appreciate it!

Gary is a pretty fart smeller.

LOL! An old fart smeller with a lot of experience and an engineering background.

It's easy to be cynical about product marketing tricks, but re-labeling a product for specific needs is actually somewhat helpful these days. With fewer & fewer people having the technical background to make their own judgements, finding "RV" or "slide" or similar on a label re-assures the buyer they have an appropriate product. And if having that assurance leads them to pay extra for it, well... :rolleyes:

LOL! An old fart smeller with a lot of experience and an engineering background.

It's easy to be cynical about product marketing tricks, but re-labeling a product for specific needs is actually somewhat helpful these days. With fewer & fewer people having the technical background to make their own judgements, finding "RV" or "slide" or similar on a label re-assures the buyer they have an appropriate product. And if having that assurance leads them to pay extra for it, well... :rolleyes:
Well thats another good point, very good point but......I STILL can't believe he said all that!!!! Thanks again for the tip

I compared WD-40's silicone spray with 3M's RV slide lube, and the 3M felt like it was a little more viscus than the WD-40. I don't know if that would make any difference in the application though. I've used both and maybe the 3M was a little less prone to running if I sprayed a little too heavy.

Back
Top Bottom