Slide out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ed.Coz

2020 Forrest River 26dbud slide out coming out crooked. It’s the rack n pinion style. It’s the left side as your inside the coach. I’ve researched how to adjust the 2 bolts on the motor side and that’s not the problem. As the piston pushes there will s a bar that’s attached to the other side of the slide that causes it to come out. Well, I can see the bar rotating but the gears aren’t moving to push the slide out even. What am I missing?

Attachments

• 2D2C3000-35AB-403B-8BAB-7DE556C51120.jpeg
    2D2C3000-35AB-403B-8BAB-7DE556C51120.jpeg
    165.5 KB · Views: 30
  • 70E99B5F-F006-44E4-A098-367DB299B8EB.jpeg
    70E99B5F-F006-44E4-A098-367DB299B8EB.jpeg
    159.3 KB · Views: 30
  • 9F10436C-B396-4BDD-81EA-F8C834065BD9.jpeg
    9F10436C-B396-4BDD-81EA-F8C834065BD9.jpeg
    171.3 KB · Views: 30
Welcome to the forum.
Looking at your 1st picture, is there a pin missing between the square tubing and the round shaft of the drive gear? That would probably be called a shear pin.
If it is missing you’re going to have to unbolt the other end snd slide the square tubing off the drive gear shaft, you’ll probably find a piece of the pin still in the gear shaft. Drive it out. Then reconnect the other end of the square tubing. Then you’ll have to re-time the mechanism before you install a new shear pin. I hope that’s your problem because that’s easy to fix.

Last edited:
I have the same system as you do, just read your post and looked at mine.
It appears that your bolt that goes through the square tube and the round bar is missing.
Look at the square tube and I think you will see the mark where the washer has worn the paint off.
Get the slide lined up as even as possible and then put a similar bolt with a locknut and washers through the holes in the square and solid round bar.
Adjustments can be made at every 1/2 turn by removing the bolt and rotate the square tube one way or the other with a 10-12 inch crescent wrench.
Or by using a strong screwdriver on a leverage point to rotate the gear.
Hopefully this will help you.
Aaron
Oh, nice clear pictures, by the way.

I never noticed that hole with the washer mark. That makes total sense! Thank you and I’m sure I can do the work and save some $$ Really appreciate your help

I have the same system as you do, just read your post and looked at mine.
It appears that your bolt that goes through the square tube and the round bar is missing.
Look at the square tube and I think you will see the mark where the washer has worn the paint off.
Get the slide lined up as even as possible and then put a similar bolt with a locknut and washers through the holes in the square and solid round bar.
Adjustments can be made at every 1/2 turn by removing the bolt and rotate the square tube one way or the other with a 10-12 inch crescent wrench.
Or by using a strong screwdriver on a leverage point to rotate the gear.
Hopefully this will help you.
Aaron
Oh, nice clear pictures, by the way.
Thank you so much! Didn’t even see that!

You're welcome!
It looks like Rene and I were typing and thinking the same thing about the same time....
Let us know how it goes with a follow up. 👍

I don’t know if that pin is a special material. You wouldn’t want a grade 8 bolt in there because it would not shear befor the gears stripped. I would call a service dept. at a RV dealership and ask them if that takes a special pin. It may just be a standard mild steel bolt. Maybe someone here would know.

I don’t know if that pin is a special material. You wouldn’t want a grade 8 bolt in there because it would not shear befor the gears stripped. I would call a service dept. at a RV dealership and ask them if that takes a special pin. It may just be a standard mild steel bolt. Maybe someone here would know.
Yeah maybe? it would be cheaper and easy to replace a bolt then a gear that’s for sure.

I would be very cautious the first time you cycle it. Something made that pin shear. Something may have stopped one end of the slide but the motor kept turning eventually shearing that bolt. Make sure when timing it, both ends of the slide touch at exactly the same time. The top may touch before the bottom but that’s OK as long as they touch at the same time on both ends. This will take two people.

Ed, do you have a bolt at the other end? If you do, get a picture of its head and post it here. The markings on the head will identify the grade.

I would be very cautious the first time you cycle it. Something made that pin shear. Something may have stopped one end of the slide but the motor kept turning eventually shearing that bolt. Make sure when timing it, both ends of the slide touch at exactly the same time. The top may touch before the bottom but that’s OK as long as they touch at the same time on both ends. This will take two people.
I was thinking of marking the gears teeth and the rails before removing. That should be good enough right?

I’ve been watching so many videos my eyes hurt. I think it’s called the cross bar that fits into the gear pack. It’s a broken bolt that seems to be missing that’s causes the “cross bar” not to make contact with the gear. I’m that causing the slide to come out crooked

I looked at mine again and it doesn't have lock nuts. Maybe your nut fell off and the bolt slid out instead of shearing off.

If it were me I would try to get some help to push it in evenly as far as possible while gently working the hydraulic controls inward.
Or possibly measuring the front and rear outer edges to the body of the coach to even it up.
Install the bolt and slowly cycle it to check for everything being even when almost closed to the outside wall.
Shouldn't be a big problem to adjust 1/2 turn at a time (preferably by hand) after removing the bolt again.

Last edited:
I looked at mine again and it doesn't have lick nuts. Maybe your nut fell off and the bolt slid out instead of shearing off.

If it were me I would try to get some help to push it in evenly as far as possible while gently working the hydraulic controls inward.
Or possibly measuring the front and rear outer edges to the body of the coach to even it up.
Install the bolt and slowly cycle it to check for everything being even when almost closed to the outside wall.
Shouldn't be a big problem to adjust 1/2 turn at a time (preferably by hand) after removing the bolt again

I looked at mine again and it doesn't have lick nuts. Maybe your nut fell off and the bolt slid out instead of shearing off.

Shouldn't be a big problem to adjust 1/2 turn at a time (preferably by hand) after removing the bolt again.
What seemed straight forward now seems sketchy. If I don’t get the great teeth lined up perfectly on both sides chances are high I’m gong to Strip a great tooth or Jack up the interior floor

You notice the problem when it was binding and uneven, might still be.
Take some measurements to make it as even as possible by rotating the square bar one way or the other, line up the holes then install the bolt.
Cycle it slowly to confirm the position of the slide is even or not. Very likely it will be.
I think you can handle it 👍

When I had this problem, I went through several shear pins (the hole was elongated and allowed wind up). I switched to a grade 5 bolt which sheared as well. The final solution was a longer grade 5 bolt (to ensure the bolt threads were not loaded in shear) and lock washers to eliminate windup. I had to grind off extra thread to avoid hanging up in the bolt.
Alignment was not a big deal.

Ernie

Back
Top Bottom