Slide sticks when extending, then works fine.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Patnsuzanne

A new bug has developed in our slide out. Twice on this trip, it won’t start to extend, until I give the manual override a bump with my drill and 3/4” adapter. Once it gets going, it extends all the way out, just as it should. No binding or drooping. It retracts just fine. This is also an intermittent problem It extended just fine during lunch and pit stops on the road today, but required the drill once we got to the campsite. The gear is clicking like it does when it reaches the extent of its extension, and retraction, but it takes a boost to get going. It is a rack and pinion system, but I can’t see the motor as it’s hidden by the underbelly. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated! Thanks.

Get a can of dry lube, go under and,lube everything you see.

Thanks for the tip. I cleaned the tracks and sprayed them down good, but the problem persists. The slide retracted when we got ready to head out this morning, but it sounded weird, more mechanical. we tried to extend it again after we pulled it in with no luck. HOWEVER, when we arrived at tonight’s destination, it extended just fine! YouTube investigation seems to indicate bad clutches in the motor, which means getting through the underbelly to pull the bad unit for replacement. Plan now is to use the manual override if needed (only two stops left on this trip) and get after it when we get back home. Any other thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks again.

Problem solved. Once we got back home I was able to pull the motor to see what was up. I opened the gear pack and finding no broken teeth or stripped gears, it pretty much meant a new motor. I was able to locate one at NW RV Supply for less than half of what other sources wanted. They had bought a number of these motors from Winabego when they closed a factory in Oregon and are selling them for a very reasonable price. Anyway, it was a direct match for the old motor and fit right up. Just two bolts and the two wires. Once I patched the flap I had to cut in the underbelly to access the motor, we were back in action.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom