Slide topper awning stuck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
Not really techie, but I thought I'd pass this along in case someone has the same problem in future.

This morning I was outside watching the slideouts retract one at a time as Chris operated them from inside the coach. The slide topper awning on one of the living room slides made no attempt to roll up. Several things went through my mind, including the fact that it was in the low 20's overnight, although it was "dry". Icing was still a possibility though, given the rain we'd driven through yesterday. I attempted to turn the roller by hand, once from one end then from the other, but it wouldn't budge.

Since it was still cold, I retreated to the coach so my brain could function a little easier. I checked my coach owner's manual and the Carefree leaflets that come with every awning, but no clues. I then remembered I'd brought Bob Livingstone's excellent book along, but it didn't help.

I thought about the possibility of a broken recoil spring, but then realized that the window awning is wound around the same roller. Went back outside and tried to lower the window awning - it wouldn't come out. That's when I decided to try grabbing the awning cover (shared by the slide topper and window awning) and gently rocking it back and forth in the direction of deployment. That did the trick!

The awning rolled up as designed while the slideout retracted. I walked around the other side of the coach and noticed a small trickle of water had come off the awning that side when it was retracted and it was now frozen down the side of the coach. Looks like my ice guess was right.

Robert, I'm glad you said "almost". I was afraid we'd be stuck in Little Rock with that awning - they're having snow tonight. We're headed for Dallas and it looks like the high there today is 34 and the low tonight will be 26.

You need to get farther south and west.  High in Surprise today is only 65F, but heading into the 70s by the weekend.  Lows in the 50s.

Tom,

Now you know why the rest of us are out here basking in sunshine.  ;D ;D  I heard a rumor that it got colder in Dallas as you drove by.

ArdraF

That was more than a rumor Ardra  ;D

Please don't come any farther west, we're enjoying nice warm weather during the daytime and don't need any more freezes at night :)

Ned said:
You need to get farther south and west.  High in Surprise today is only 65F, but heading into the 70s by the weekend.  Lows in the 50s.

Better hope Tom doesn't pass by too close you just might not reach 60 let alone the 70/s. ;D

ArdraF said:
Tom,

Now you know why the rest of us are out here basking in sunshine.  ;D ;D  I heard a rumor that it got colder in Dallas as you drove by.

ArdraF
  Not only did Dallas get cold we dropped from the 60/s one day to the 40/s the next as Tom neared Dallas and we are some distance south. ;D

Tom,

One of the rules in RVing is you DO NOT put out slides if the weather is going to drop to freezing!!! You can survive a night with the slides in. I know bedroom slides today can be a slight problem but it's better than fighting a slide that won't retract!!! :)

Jim I hear you, but we haven't had a night above freezing for almost 2 weeks. The nights we had in Kentucky were in single digits, and the daytime temps were low to mid 20's..

Tom said:
Jim I hear you, but we haven't had a night above freezing for almost 2 weeks. The nights we had in Kentucky were in single digits, and the daytime temps were low to mid 20's..

Tom, The Idea is to plan your trips so you avoid the cold weather not drag the cold around sharing it with your friends. ;D ;D ;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom