Slide topper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Drnsurgn

The topper has a rubber type tube or rod that slips into tube the length of topper. It has slipped out of one end about 12 to 14”. Don’t know what it is called or what it is for, tried to push it back in but no luck.hoping someone can educate me.
Thanks
Bob

Attachments

• IMG_2617.jpeg
    IMG_2617.jpeg
    232.4 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
It sounds like it might be the part that keeps the end of the slide topper from coming out of the track that holds it in place. it expands the cloth, so it's too big to pop out of the track. If that's the part you're talking about, you might need someone to take the tension out of the slide topper, so the rod can be wiggled back into position. I hope that makes sense.

Kev

It sounds like it might be the part that keeps the end of the slide topper from coming out of the track that holds it in place. it expands the cloth, so it's too big to pop out of the track. If that's the part you're talking about, you might need someone to take the tension out of the slide topper, so the rod can be wiggled back into position. I hope that makes sense.

Kev
Thanks kev , included a pic this time, doesn’t look like it holds anything just sits in tube.

Thanks kev , included a pic this time, doesn’t look like it holds anything just sits in tube.
When you look closely the "rope" is larger than the round groove in the wind-up tube. The material surrounding the "rope" slides into the groove when installing the awning material; just like the other end slides into a groove on the side of the RV, though that "rope" is larger dia.
Sometimes you can remove the tension on the material and slide/push the "rope" back into the sewn material.
If/when you get it pushed back in all the way, put a dab of glue in each end to prevent a re-occurance.

A short self-tapping screw at each end is usually used to secure the spline in place. The screw simply goes into the groove and blocks the spline from walking. Using the screws means you won't have to dig out any residual glue when changing the topper in the future.

This appears to me the material has come unsewed around the cord of the awning, and the cord is coming out. Pushing that much back in will be nearly impossible. I suspect that the awning will start to pull out the groove on the other end. I hope not but but think you might be in due for a new topper.

Typically that is a spline that holds the end of the topper fabric in its slot on the roller, but you say it doesn't appear to do that? I can't see where the spline enters the roller well enough to judge. And I can't imagine any other purpose for it.

In any case, pushing on a string is futile when there is friction along the edges. It has to be pulled along the slot from the opposite end. And if it is supposed to be in the fabric end, you will need to remove the topper fabric from the tube, slide the spline in place, and then guide the fabric+spline combo back into the roller slot.

We had a bit of our topper come unsewed at one end of the spline. Repair guys took it off, re-sewed the piling in, then reinstalled it. It wasn’t as much as this one, only 4” or so, but I think your repair would be similar.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nedh
Back
Top Bottom