Slide Wont Move

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

azglenn

Seabreeze 5th with 3 slides.  All electric.  2 work fine. The 3rd no so much.  Motor starts then cuts out.  No movement in the slide.  Same either direction.  ?????  Motor does NOT keep running.  Cuts out like hitting a limit switch.  Thx

I've been looking for a solution to my slide not moving as well.  I just have to get time to go to my trailer park and try the fix.  We have a 2014 Lifestyle Luxury trailer that I have found out is notorious for the large front slide to die.  The fix I've read is to hook up a reversing solenoid to the motor and run wires to the battery and splice the wires from the switch and motor to the solenoid.  I received this info from the Carriage / Lifestyle Forum.
I won't know for a while if it works or not.  PM me and I will send you the info I am using.

@MartyB:  the fix for our Cameo's slide involved a new motor, as the original reduction gearbox failed and replacement gearboxes are available only with a new motor assembly.  While I plan to run heavier wires from the battery and install a solenoid, those improvements would not have helped our situation.

@azglenn:  there are lots of diagnostic steps ahead of you.  More knowledgeable folks will chime in here but based on your description you may wish to test by using jumpers to apply battery power directly to the motor.

Most slide controllers have a current-limiter built in, shutting off the motor is the amp draw exceeds some limit, meaning the load on the motor has got too hgh. That's to prevent damage if the slide jams or bumps into something external.  Some also have a mechanical limit switch somewhere in the mechanism, designed to sense when the slide is fully open or closed. If that switch gets bent out of position, it can prematurely shut the motor off.

Both Power gear and Accuslide use a current sensing controller... Sometimes they need adjustment.

Alas. Mine I often needed several activatications before I got it all the way in or out.

But that is by no means the ONLY possible issue. as others have pointed out.

The correct answer really is going to depend on brand and model of slide you have, I sat through a 2 day seminar on Lipert products much of which was on slide maintenance a few weeks ago, and in their products alone there are at least 3 styles of control systems for slide operation.  Some use limit switches, some use current sensing limiting, and some use rotational counting on the motor shafts.  Some have simple manual overrides, some don't, it really just depends on what type of slide you have.

Back
Top Bottom