Slideouts pros/cons of awnings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EdCard36

I have a bedroom slideout and when it rains the constant drips on the slideout roof over my head keeps me from sleeping.... Would a slideout awning help this?  I was thinking of maybe install a self made light weight roof over it with some kind of padding ....anyone got a better idea.  What's the experience you have??

The "normal" reason for a sildeout awning is to keep the leaves out. But there's no reason it wouldn't do what you want. You should be able to buy an awning from your RV dealer or maybe Camping World.

Thanks so much for your suggestions.  I was hoping that out of the thousands of people who may have already purchased these awnings I would get some kind of confident answer that it does in deed muffle/soften  the sound of raindrop falling out of trees. I would hate to spend a few hundred dollars on an awning to find that I  have the same drip noise or worse yet now an amplified drip! Can anyone, who has a slideout bedroom with the slideout directly overhead be able to comment on this topic?

Ed

>>I would get some kind of confident answer that it does in deed muffle/soften? the sound of raindrop falling out of trees.<<

Why don't you just make a temporary one out of a sheet or piece of canvas & test it yourself?? Unless someone had the exact same RV as yours with the same construction, same hearing ability.... their observations wouldn't apply.

Terry
At Clark Fork, ID

EdCard36 said:
Thanks so much for your suggestions.? I was hoping that out of the thousands of people who may have already purchased these awnings I would get some kind of confident answer that it does in deed muffle/soften? the sound of raindrop falling out of trees. I would hate to spend a few hundred dollars on an awning to find that I? have the same drip noise or worse yet now an amplified drip! Can anyone, who has a slideout bedroom with the slideout directly overhead be able to comment on this topic?

Yes, the slideout cover will muffle the rain drop sound over the slideout. But it won't muffle the sound when it hits the RV roof, so you probably wouldn't notice much difference.

I have the slideout/awning/bedroom combination you describe.  The only problem is that I have the after condition with no access to the "before" condition so I cannot tell you whether it is worse better or same as.

I CAN tell you that I do not find the end result the least bit annoying.  But a lot of other varuables enter there such as my hearing acuity, my enjoyment of a rainstorm, etc.

Thanks everyone.... I like Terry's idea to make a temp one out of vinyl remnants to try out.... this would give me an idea of what it will do for a significant less investment.  What I found is that the normal rv roof is insulated and thicker and covered with tighter rubber than the roof of the slideout.  The slideout roof is thin and uninsulated thus provide more rain drop sounds. I too love raindrops but not the rain drips from the overhead trees.  Thanks again everyone!!  Nice idea Terry!

EdCard36 said:
Thanks everyone.... I like Terry's idea to make a temp one out of vinyl remnants to try out.... this would give me an idea of what it will do for a significant less investment.? ?What I found is that the normal rv roof is insulated and thicker and covered with tighter rubber than the roof of the slideout.? The slideout roof is thin and uninsulated thus provide more rain drop sounds. I too love raindrops but not the rain drips from the overhead trees.? ?Thanks again everyone!!? Nice idea Terry!

There is, indeed, a solution for the "puddling" of water on slide-out tarps which contributes to the diminished sound of rain on those tarps. A stretch line over the slide-out tarp causes the trap to be more taut and, they say, makes for a quiet night. It's simply a case of throwing a line over the tarp and securing it front and rear.

I've not done it and I'm not interested in doing it, but it apparently is a ritual with some RVers.

Ed:

Based on what you are looking for and logic, I would guess that the awning will reduce the sound as it will no longer be a direct hit on the roof of the slideout.  I did not mean to be flip in my previous comment.  This is the first RV I have ever had with a slideout, so I truly have no means of comparison.

We don't here the rain on the awning over our living room slide out.  I think it is better to have an awning over all slideouts.  Keeps water, snow and ice from building up and perhaps destroying the seals if the slide is retracted and soming is on the roof.  Awnings are not too expensive and not having to worry about having something on the bare roof - including leaves, pine needles and pine pitch - would make the investment worthwhile.

fredethomas said:
We don't here the rain on the awning over our living room slide out.? I think it is better to have an awning over all slideouts.? ?Keeps water, snow and ice from building up and perhaps destroying the seals if the slide is retracted and soming is on the roof.? Awnings are not too expensive and not having to worry about having something on the bare roof - including leaves, pine needles and pine pitch - would make the investment worthwhile.

I surely missed the point that your model did not have a rollout awning over the slideout. Now I'm curious about what manufacturer makes one without an awning. What brand?

Bob McNabb said:
I surely missed the point that your model did not have a rollout awning over the slideout. Now I'm curious about what manufacturer makes one without an awning. What brand?

Our Alpenlite came without slideout covers. We had the dealer install them. Was not a factory option.

Slide toppers (covers) are optional on quite a few makes and models, but dealers typically include them when they confiure the units they order for their sales lot.  As in anything else, lower end models tend to have a "stripped" base price and lots of options so dealers and customers can trade off between price and amenities.  In addition, units that may be used in winter camping (yes, some people really do that!) often have the toppers as optional because they can be a real pain in ice and snow.  Last, some rigs (Beavers, for example), have a contoured slide roof that is supposed to obviate the need for a topper.

Wow I sure didn't expect to generate such conversation.  Any how I've taken no offense from anyone and  I do appreciate all the help that everyone is trying to provide to me.  The camper I have is a Forest River, Cardinal  36ft fifth wheel. The dealer I bought from had said that they don't come with the slideout covers and many of their customers don't want to pay the extra for them. I tend to agree that the added price of the slideout covers (X 3) versus something else like my built-in fireplace I'd go for the latter and did.  hee hee ....Gotta love those romantic nights where it's too buggy for the campfire but perfect for the fireplace to be going without the heat turned on!  Oh ya about the slideout awing,  I've got the next week off and will be trying the remnant approach first. It's been non-stop rain here in the North East, USA so I'm sure I'll know real soon if it helps deaden the noise of "raindrops falling on my head"... ;D.... 
I'll post how it goes in about a week.... Unless I get bored and head down to the wireless section of the campground!

Thanks everyone!

Ed

>>I've got the next week off and will be trying the remnant approach first. It's been non-stop rain here in the North East,<<

Of course you know that the minute you install it, the rain will cease.<G>

Terry
At Clark Fork, ID

Back
Top Bottom