slider

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

janpaul

Several of my co-workers have campers, and there are all different types of setups among them. One is a truck like mine(Chevy 2500 HD Ext. Cab 4x4, Duramax/Allison), and he tows a toy hauler 5er. I do not know all his camper specs, but I have seen his setup work. He has a B&W gooseneck with a companion fifth wheel hitch. The camper has an extended kingpin box, and slightly rounded front corners. He can turn a full 90 degrees with it. A couple of the other guys say you MUST have a slider hitch with the ext cab shortbed. I like the B&W setup and am probably going to go with it, as I will also use the gooseneck for horse trailer. My question is do you absolutely have to have a slider w/a shortbed ext cab? Thanks, Paul

My question is do you absolutely have to have a slider w/a shortbed ext cab?

The simple answer is "No"

The reasons you do not need a slider are:

1) Most people will never turn sharply enough when backing to hit the cab anyway
2) Some set-ups, like the one you cited, won't hit the cab under any circumstances
3) Rare is the site where you need to turn so sharply to get in anyway. And you can always go to another site.

The primary reasons you may want to buy a slider are:

1) Peace of mind - if I use the slider I can't get nto trouble
2) You forget to look immediately behind you to see what the front of the trailer is actually doing (don't laugh - it happens)
3) You frequently want to maneuver in very cramped places, e.g. you need to make a sharp zig-zag to get the rig into your usual storage area
4) Some trailers have a very short pin box - or none at all (the king pin is under the nose rather than out front)

Have you had any experience with or heard of any with the RV5 extender? This is an extension that bolts to the kingpin and raises the camper a few inches and extends it back around 10 inches. If I bought a camper w/out an extended box, are these okay to use?

I'm not familiar with that particular one, but extended pin boxes have been around and in use for many years. Many trailers have them as standard equipment, some as options and a few have recommended against using them. Check with the trailer manufacturer.

They are universal to any kingpin box.

Well, I'm a bit skeptical of that, but it looks like a solid design.  I can think of some older Nuwa Snowbirds and Alfas that have the kingpin right under the nose that this adapter would probably not fit, but it should bolt on to most any trailer witthe typical extended pin box.

You can buy a non-sliding hitch for the truck and try it out to see if you have the potential for a problem when backing. If you do, you could add this extension later. If not, you saved a bunch of money.

I have damaged my SWB pickup cab due to not having a slider.? I had the standard hitch setup and had to make a very sharp turn. It was a $1500 repair.? It was not a gooseneck setup so I cannot speak to that but I did switch to the slider hitch, just a plain old mechanical Reese, and have breathed easier since.? Hope this helps...

I have a 2002 2500hd extended cab 4x4 duramax/allison with the b&w turnover ball and fifth wheel companion hitch and I have never had any problems backing or turning. The companion hitch also has adjustments so that you can set up the hitch to meet your needs. I love this setup and would recommend it to anyone. I also use mine for pulling a horse trailer and a 30' goose neck equipment trailer.

I just got mine via Fedex yesterday.  Heartland makes 5ers with the front end tapered to allow a greater turning radius with shortbeds. I may look into one of those. Thanks.

Just got back from a one day first trip with our new Bighorn 2925 by Heartland.  Before we headed to the campground, we stopped at a large empty parking lot so that I could try a little backing with it.  Never got to 90? angle with it as Karen was getting extremely nervous with the angle and how close the trailer was to the cab of the truck, but I could have got at least 90 and I did get a lot sharper angle than I ever anticipate using.

However, just in case I need it, the hitch that came with the deal was a slider!

We like it very much.  We looked at a lot of other 5ers and kept coming back to the Heartlands.  We plan to start using it for extended trips in the next few months.  We've only had it out for one night so far, but it looks like it's going to fit very well for what we wanted.

The 2925 is the shortest of the Bighorn line.

Heartland also has the Sundance, also made for short wheel base trucks.  We decided on the Bighorn because all of the options we wanted were standard on the Bighorn, plus a whole lot more.

Hi Mike in Arkansas,

It may be too early to tell, but have you experienced many problems with your new BigHorn?  This is GaryB from the Heartland Forum.  I'm not sure if you've been posting on that forum or not, and so maybe we've already "chatted".  I too am very interested in the BigHorn.  But some of the problems with BigHorn I've been reading about on that forum are beginning to scare me.  I'm not sure if those problems are overblown or not. 

Also, would you mind me asking who you bought it from?  I'm considering buying from RVs4Less in Knoxville (Butch).  My apologies if you've already posted this on the Heartland Forum.

Gary

Gary,

We bought the Bighorn from River City RV in Sherwood, Arkansas (North Little Rock area).  It was actually bought as a RV show special and the price was comparable to some of the best prices I had seen on the internet.

I've been all over the RV looking for problems and fixing what I've found: 

• The screen door wouldn't latch closed, so I took the screen door latch off, drilled two new holes in the door frame about an 1/8 inch from the originals and reinstalled the latch with the screws in the new holes. The door now latches fine.
  • After we got set up at the campground, Karen found two screws on the kitchen floor.  We looked all over for where they might have come from, but found nothing.  Well, we did find one cabinet hinge with a missing screw, but there was no hole for that screw.  It had never been installed.  So I used one of the screws Karen found.

That's it.  So far I am very pleased with the trailer, except that the tires are ST rather than LT. To me, that just means that I have to make sure that I check them often, ensure that they have the right pressure and that the lug-nuts are torqued properly, which is really what should be done no matter what tire is being used.

We still haven't filled up the fresh water tank.  I know that has been a problem discussed on the Heartland forum.  I don't think it will be a problem so long as the tank is properly vented.

I will be posting on the Heartland forum about my trailer, possibly after I have some more run time with it.

Mike

That's it.  So far I am very pleased with the trailer, except that the tires are ST rather than LT. To me, that just means that I have to make sure that I check them often, ensure that they have the right pressure and that the lug-nuts are torqued properly, which is really what should be done no matter what tire is being used.

All that St really means is that you cannot take the tires off the trailer and put them on your truck.  ;D When you replace them, you may as well use LTs and eliminate that minor restriction - and also likely save some money on the purchase price.

Back
Top Bottom