Slipcovers or protecting the furniture from the kitties

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not a cat person, but we bought new furniture for the RV this past summer.  After a bad experience with the "Ultra Leather" upholstery, we bought furniture with clothe upholstery. 
When it arrived, I immediately saw the potential for the stuff to be stained and look like crap in a year or two(light brown color), so I bought slip covers off Amazon.  They were like $15/apiece, so cheap enough to replace periodically.  Had them since August, and it looks like I'll have to replace 2 out of the 3(3rd seat doesn't get much use)about every year or so.  They also vacuum easily to remove the dog hair.  They do not, however, cover the vertical part of the arms to protect from being used as a scratching post.

I made a scratching post with some rope and our cat loves it. She doesn't care for the furniture at all. Sometimes she scratches the carpet on the doghouse cover, but she prefers the post.

I full timed it for 10 years with three cats. First and most important is putting up barriers so they could not enter into the dashboard and engine compartment. Next I bought L shaped metal pieces that I put on every corner in the RV. They are available in plastic, wood and metal. I used metal.

https://www.amazon.com/Wall-Protex-P4118SS-Paintable-Adhesive/dp/B003KILYJA/ref=sr_1_7?crid=199MMZS0HY000&dchild=1&keywords=corner+molding&qid=1611065614&s=hi&sprefix=corner+mo%2Ctools%2C184&sr=1-7

Then I put up two cat scratching pads at two different spots. I did not hang them, I bolted them to the wall.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006B4HYF8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Then I bought a bottle of catnip and when they were in the neighborhood of one of the scratching pads I would toss out a small amount of catnip at the base of the pad and then say "Catnip". After a few times they got the idea.

I recently got the best litter box in the world. It is automatic and I usually go about three weeks before I have to do anything. At that point it is about a five minute job to replace the used litter with new litter. I only have one cat now so I don't have to empty it as often. With three cats it lasted about two weeks.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07X3XFB6K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

donn said:
Declaw them!
You do know that declawing is actually removing the entire first joint from their paws, don?t you? It is something most vets absolutely refuse to do these days. Teach them to use a scratching post, or use the claw covers sold at any pet store instead.

We have an inexpensive cover for our sofa.  The DW made two slip covers for the captains chairs.  Hard to find one that fits.  We carry a small cat tree and I built a storage/inverter station with a cat scratching post.  16 year old Ultra Leather furniture still looks very good. 

Agree with Pam on the declawing issue. 

donn said:
Declaw them!

No offense intended whatsoever, but...

Please, please don't.  That is a brutal and arcane procedure that is no longer recognized as acceptable.  Most vets won't do it now, and rightfully so. 

I've had cats for most of my life, without declawing.  Sure, you do occasionally need to deal with a furniture scratcher, but most can be discouraged by simple reinforcement.

If you don't want a cat with claws, then I suggest you stay with dogs. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom