Slow fuel fill solved in late model Freightliner chassis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

John Canfield

Site Team
Another old thread brought over from another forum...

A little background:  Many of us with 2004+ Freightliner chassis have groused over the inability to fill the fuel tank completely without dribbling in the last 10-20 gallons.  On my coach, I need to fill at a rate of 0.1 gallons per second to top the tank off.  If you fill at a full-on setting the tank will be about 20 gallons short of full - this is the case with any truck pump, and even most RV/auto pumps.  I forgot who originated the thread on the other forum, but I believe they are rvforum.net members now.  They discovered a plan by Winnie/Freightliner to finally address the problem by replacing either the entire tank, or the filler necks depending on your chassis serial number.

Following is one of my responses about the effort:

"Talked to my contact at Freightliner this morning. Here's the deal (as I understand the situation) on the slow fill issue - there was a run of 400-450 tanks where the venting wasn't appropriate and those tanks will be replaced. If you are within the Winnebago house warranty, parts and labor are covered. If you are outside the Winnebago house warranty, then you pay for the parts and Freightliner covers labor.

Others (like me) that have a fuel tank with improved venting but still the incredibly annoying slow fill issue, there is an improved filler neck available. Same deal - outside the house warranty, you pay for parts, Freightliner covers labor.

Caveat: This post is a reflection of what I thought I heard - do NOT assume this is reality until you talk with either Freightliner or Winnebago. I am NOT speaking in an official capacity for either Winnebago Industries or Freightliner."

John:

Six gallons a minute is the standard for Tradewind Freightliner tanks. One of the reasons loosing the cash discount at the Flying J truck islands didn't concern me.

Jeff - I used to almost exclusively use truck pumps and used a wooden wedge to prop open the pump handle to a desired flow.  This worked fairly well, but filling just takes a long time in this situation.  Since the Visa card thing with FJ, we usually use the RV pumps.  As you know, even figuring out where they are located is sometimes a challenge  ::)

Since FJ doesn't seem to want us any longer at the truck islands we pull in the auto islands or the RV island whichever is more convinient for us.  Yea it takes longer with the little nozzels but we are retired and can afford a few extra minutes. Haven't had to pump 135+ gallons yet at the RV or car islands.

John Canfield said:
Jeff - I used to almost exclusively use truck pumps and used a wooden wedge to prop open the pump handle to a desired flow.  This worked fairly well, but filling just takes a long time in this situation.  Since the Visa card thing with FJ, we usually use the RV pumps.  As you know, even figuring out where they are located is sometimes a challenge  ::)

John:

The FMCA plastic key chain logo is a perfect wedge for the fuel nozzle. ;D

Ron - we usually take on 50-75 gallons and that usually takes 20-25 minutes.  We're not in a big rush either and usually only do 250-350 miles a day.

Jeff - ah... good tip!

One thing about filling up in the truck lanes

IN SOME STATES Trucks pay either more (most likely) or less (least likely) tax

So if you fill up in the truck lanes... You may be paying too much to the tax man.

Just so you know.. A very good reason to use the proper island

AZ... I believe, is such a state (Stickers on the pump mention "No vehicles over xx,xxx pounds at this pump")

John:
How do we initiate the repair/replacement process with Freightliner? Do we contact them or will this be some form of a recall? I have complained several times to both the Dealer and Freightliner and they ask " What problem?" Hope this can clear the matter up.

John

John - have you talked to owner relations in Forest City?  (The factory service number)  I have heard similar stories about Freightliner and Winnebago customer service supposedly not being aware of the effort, but I can assure you it is for real and several have had tanks replaced.  I haven't heard about reports about the success of the new filler necks.  Freightliner is well aware of the situation - I discussed it with my contact at Freightliner a couple of months ago.  Give Winnebago a try - not your dealer - they might be clueless.

Let us know how it works out.

I have an 06 Itasca Ellipse. I have had an issue with the slow fill and the issue of not being able to fill the tank. I had discussed this with my dealer and Freighliner. They said there was no problem(s). Today 1/7/9 i called Freightliner and talked to Marcus? he said there was a program to retrofit the filler necks and an adapter to solve the problem. I was given a ref #3168652 to give to the Freightliner Service Ctr. I'm not sure if this number is unique to me. Freightliner would pay to have the parts installed. I was told to call Winnabago for the parts.
I  called Winnabago and talked to Troy. He told me that this was a Freightliner program and that I would have to order a left and right filler tube and fuel filler panel and adapter from my  dealer. I called the dealer and they had not a clue what I was talking about, so they would call Winnabago. I asked for a price on the parts before I committed. Frankly I put a $350 budget to this. If the cost of parts exceeds this I'm going to pass.
I'll post the cost of parts when the dealer gets back to me. Hope this helps and I would appreciate anyone elses experience whit this issue.

John

No problem - yeah - right  :D :D :D  ROTFL  That's the best one I've heard today...

I think the filler necks are going to be in the $400 range - please let us know what the quoted price is.  You can perform a patriotic duty by injecting money into the economy.  I just spent 800 bucks on a camera.. your turn  8)

We had the same slooww filling issue on our 07 Vectra. Our fuel tank and venting system were replaced while we were at the Gaffney factory last november under warranty.

Jim

First I have a DW that is singlehandedly attempting to end the recession. I have applied for a bailout. It appears that I am going to need one. I received a quote for the parts to solve the slow fill issue. The dealer quoted appprox $1500. Now I may be stupid but I'm not crazy so I'm not going to spend that amt to solve this problem. I asked the dealer to e-mail the parts list and prices. I'll post when I receive. Right this minute I'm not happy so I'll wait for the quote and calming down before I call Freightliner.

John

jdealcpa said:
The dealer quoted appprox $1500.

WOW - I guess your dealer is trying to make up for slow sales.  Let me do a little checking...

Oh - God Bless your wife  ;D  Please tell her for me that she undoubtedly doesn't have enough shoes, there must be a sale somewhere ...

Well, lost my first post (I did a preview.) I'll get the hang of it yet.

Anyway, I recently got a price quote from Lightsinn Motors for parts required to resolve the slow fueling problem.
They are as follows:

Here are the prices you requested:

Tube   (left side)                  15754001000 - $505.65

Tube   (right side)                15754002000 - $473.80

Panel (left side)                    1572370102B - $16.55

Panel (right side)                  1572370202B - $15.85

Rivets                                  1131330201A - .30 each

Plus shipping. 

FCCC supplies the 1" to 5/8" air vent adapter.
Current tanks and panel have a 1" in diameter vent line and the setup involving slow fills have a 5/8" air vent on both the tank and panel.

An option to defray some of the cost is to only have one of the filler necks replaced and "suffer" when you have to use the side not modified.

FCCC indicates that the filler neck changeover should resolve the problem. I have not yet heard of anyone yet that has had this change made, indicate that it works.
It seems that when you go back to a 5/8" vent line on the tank you are right back where you started.

Harry B
2005 Itasca Horizon

Harry - thanks for that information!  Wow - that's more than I expected, but still less than 1500.  Only replacing one side would be a good option to keep the costs down.

Looks like MB Thomas in St Louis is getting a little greedy, maybe freight is high. I have not rec'd a detail breakdown of the $1500. I'm a little comfused. Winnabago indicated that the changing of the filler tubes is a Freighliner program, but we get the parts from Winnabago. I'm also a little POd. I'm not real sure this is my problem and that I should pay $1100 or $1500 to solve a problem of either party. I think Monday I'll hammer on Freightliner  and see what their response is. This is my first Winnabago product after 4 Fleetwoods, I really love our Ellipse but am not pleased with the support.

John

Understand your frustrations.  At least there is a solution - ideally we shouldn't need to pay to fix a less than optimum design,  but nowadays don't look for much if any manufacturer 'goodwill' repairs - most businesses are counting paperclips and just trying to survive.

We had a similar anomally on our Spartan Chassis.  Spartan replaced the tank and fill hoses with no cost to us.  Spartan personel are based at American Coach and they did the work.

Back
Top Bottom