Smart Car coming to US in 2008

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ned

Moderator Emeritus
Here's something else to put in the toy haulers.

" June 28 (Bloomberg) -- DaimlerChrysler AG plans to sell the two-seat Smart mini-car in the U.S. from 2008, betting a fuel- efficient vehicle that fits on a pool table will help end eight years of losses at its Smart division.

The next generation of the Smart ForTwo will be distributed through automotive retailer United Auto Group Inc., Chief Executive Officer Dieter Zetsche said today at a press conference in Detroit. The sticker price will be less than $15,000, said Roger Penske, CEO of United Auto, during the conference. "

Full article is here.

;D I am not wishing to appear derogatory or cast aspersions on anyones character or build? But I have seen lot's of you Diesel pusher guys around. I think it would be a little difficult to fit one of you into a Smart car. Never mind two?? ;D

Please accept my apologies for my lightheartedness?  ;D

I saw quite a few of the Smart cars in the Netherlands and Germany while visiting in 2000. I wouldn't want to be in an accident in one. It looked more like something they were wearing than a car  they were riding in. They might be OK for urban runs to the store but I would expect them to be very dangerous on the highway.

We were in Italy during the spring of 2005 and they are very popular in the larger cities. They can't be any more dangerous than those crazy motorcycle drivers. I thought I heard they were manufactured by Mercedes.

raedmunds71 said:
I thought I heard they were manufactured by Mercedes.

Originally they were being built in a consortium between Mercedes and Swatch (the watch makers). Mercedes backed out because they thought it wasn't up to their standard and were producing their own more expensive and bigger car.  ::)

JohnSandyWhite said:
Please accept my apologies for my lightheartedness?  ;D

Well, I don't have a Diesel pusher (just a gas buggy) but at 6'3" x 325 lbs,,,, I kind of wonder about the room in those smart cars too... Shure would like to "Try one on" as it were.

I don't fit well in a 1993 Mercury Tracer that's for sure  (Ok in a 1992 Lumina APV though but hey, the Smart Car gets tons more millage per gallon)

JohnSandyWhite said:
....you Diesel pusher guys around. I think it would be a little difficult to fit one of you into a Smart car. Never mind two?

Couldn't let that one pass John. Attached is a photo of our "second car" when we lived in the valleys back in the 70's. It seated 4, well 2 adults and 2 kids. The houses in the background are really quite small; I'm 5'10" and I'd probably have to duck to get in the front door. BTW the houses were miners cottages, so the folks were used to being in cramped quarters.

I call the photo "little houses, little car, little people". The car was a Fiat with a 650cc 2-stroke engine. Great for parking in town.

BTW I'm a diesel pusher guy  ;D

Attachments

• GelliHouses.jpg
    GelliHouses.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 90
LOL Karl. I think they'd have to lower me in through the roof if I had one today.

Tom said:
Couldn't let that one pass John. Attached is a photo of our "second car" when we lived in the valleys back in the 70's.

Otherwise known as the Fiat 126 I believe. Sandy had one of the llicenced to build Eastern European version the Yugo45/65. Seat also made them in Spain. Although Sandy's was a 997cc.

Would you and your family still fit in one Tom?  ;D

JohnSandyWhite said:
Would you and your family still fit in one Tom?

Not very well John. In addition to having to lower me through the roof, our 5 kids are all over 36 years old. One grandson is 19 and towers over his father. We might need to add a trailer behind and the Fiat would be struggling up the hills  ;D

JohnSandyWhite said:
Originally they were being built in a consortium between Mercedes and Swatch (the watch makers). Mercedes backed out because they thought it wasn't up to their standard and were producing their own more expensive and bigger car.?

Well thanks alot you guys.? Now Terry has this on his list of Terry toys he wants.? Please please tell me if you are 6' 2" you couldn't fit inside it!

Betty

Terry will fit but only if he leaves the sunroof open :)

Hey John, that would be something if you and I could both fit in that car at the same time  ;D

Back
Top Bottom