Smart cars as a toad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Come'on you guys.  Some of you have said that you couldn't get in or, more importantly, get out of one of these small cars.  I'll bet you could with the Isetta.  I owned an Isetta while at Michigan State University and the entire front end opens leaving you the full width of two seats upon which you can gracefully plunk yourself down.  Then after sliding left to be in front of the steering wheel someone else can squeeze in.

NOTE: This comes from a guy that weighs all of 97 1/2 pounds after a thorough soaking!  ;D ;D ;D

caltex said:
I can't see myself in a smart car, ear to ear with the wheels of an 18 wheeler at 70 mph on the interstate.

Hey, my first two cars were English Fords, an Anglia and a Cortinia Wagon.  They are not much larger than the smart car

John In Detroit said:
Hey, my first two cars were English Fords, an Anglia and a Cortinia Wagon. They are not much larger than the smart car

Quite a bit larger actually. The SmartCar is closer to the size of a mini. FWIW my Dad towed his trailer (aka caravan) around the UK with a Cortina.

I was looking through some old photos and found this one of my Dad's Ford Cortina (UK version) circa late 60's.  This had a 1200cc engine and he used to tow his small travel trailer (aka caravan) all over the UK with it. IIRC they also offered a 1600cc engine in the same body. Either way, this car was quite a bit larger than a smart car or a mini.

Attachments

• Cortina2.jpg
    Cortina2.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 26
Tom,

May be of some interest: Those old Ford Cortina engines are used to this day as the spec power plant for the SCCA Sport 2000 racing class. They're almost indestructible, incredibly easy to work on, and get those closed-wheel, fiberglass-bodied cars around the 4 miles of Road America in the 2-minute, mid 20-second range - quite respectable!

That's interesting Karl. I had no idea those engines were still in service. I know my Dad got lots of miles out of his, although I suspect it was overworked towing his trailer.

I'd see my Dad and many other "caravanners" vascilate between being underpowered and having high fuel bills with larger engines. When he went to a larger trailer he upgraded to a Woolsley with a 2.2L engine; Much more power, but quite thirsty. The "rich folks" towed with a Range Rover, but other folks had to mind the pennies.

Back
Top Bottom