Smartphone provider: Does it matter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Larry N. said:
That's a fact. I've got an older phone on Android 4 (with longer battery life, yet) and everything except the phone stuff works fine, letting me have wifi (even on my other phone's hotspot), camera and many apps available while still leaving my newer (current) unit (Android 8) available for either other app stuff or phone stuff. I often use it on my bike, for example, to track my bicycle travels on an app.

Yes, I'm really well aware of an inactive Android phone's capabilities, and have a couple of them we use for none cellular purposes.

NY_Dutch said:
Yes, I'm really well aware of an inactive Android phone's capabilities, and have a couple of them we use for none cellular purposes.
Sorry -- I was surprised at your comment, and apparently I didn't see the smiley, or more properly, it didn't register..

NY_Dutch said:

Indeed. I also have several old SIMless phones I use to connect to and control devices the have their own WiFi signal. For example, one is dedicated to control our DashCam-- take a snapshot, turn off & on, change settings etc. I use another with a drone for similar functionality. Can also use any of these "non activated" phones to control a borescope camera, GoPros etc. etc.

jymbee said:
Indeed. I also have several old SIMless phones I use to connect to and control devices the have their own WiFi signal. For example, one is dedicated to control our DashCam-- take a snapshot, turn off & on, change settings etc. I use another with a drone for similar functionality. Can also use any of these "non activated" phones to control a borescope camera, GoPros etc. etc.

I had to laugh last summer when I stopped by my daughter's house. She was on her iPhone with a client, and was using the calculator feature on an old flip-phone to run the numbers they were discussing. :)

scottydl said:
Tell me more about this. . Sounds intriguing! With four Tracfones in the house (me and my 3 boys) we replace 1-2 phones per year, so we're always collecting old-but-not-too-old Androids.
There are several free and paid apps, usually less than $5 per month. Some interface as just another camera in your existing monitored system. I prefer self monitoring so I don't bother the police or fire depts when one of our 2 cats sets it off. I have a phone/camera right next to a smoke detector so it will react to it in case of fire. My oldest phone is now 9 years old and still works fine if plugged into power and for a few hours without power.

Some apps have the capability to use a phone with a SIM card if you want it to notify you by cell service in case your internet is down. Our internet is reliable and mine works fine over the internet without cell service.

I personally use an app called "Manything" because it was free with full functionality and no ads when I started using it 4 years ago. Now the free version no longer text messages or emails a video clip of what triggered the event. The $4/month for one camera (up to 5 for a reduced small fee) has lots of features and has been very reliable. Their focus seems to be changing to costly high tech security so I'm not sure Manything is the best choice for the future. I would check out some other apps first.

Here is a couple of links:
https://www.reviews.com/home/security-systems/old-phone-might-be-new-security-camera/

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/turn-old-phone-into-security-camera-in-3-steps-heres-how-android-iphone/

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom