Smell propane

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maggie45

Hi
Just had my regulator changed in my 1998Triple E Motor home, it’s in excellent condition and never had any issues.
But still getting a propane smell from around the area even though I cleaned it from top to bottom twice.
I left the it open all night and the gauge didn’t move but the smell is still there.
The dealer did a pressure test and couldn’t find any leaks, but the odor is constant. I’m at a loss as to what the problem is and I’m sure no one will fill me up as long as the smells there. Any advice on what else it might be?

For a quick check take some windex or any spray bottle with water in it and spray all the fittings and joints on your hoses and connections and see if you get any bubbles.

Propane has no odor, what you smell is the mercaptin oil added to it so you can smell a leak. Mercaptin oil can accumulate in low spots in the propane plumbing and if a quantity spilled out of the pipe when the regulator was changed it will continue to stink for a while. Your best bet is to use a soapy water mixture to see if there are any ongoing leaks.

I sure am glad that your persisted in looking for that leak so we don't get to read about the consequences of an awful RV fire.
Thank you for clearing this, and please come back and close it out so we all know.
Matt

Thank you 😊 I will definitely let you know how I make out.
Hope it doesn’t take too long, booked for July 5 for 2 weeks.

The dealer missed that leak before so he should be able to squeeze you in.
I know, but I didn’t get my motor home from him, it’s an old one.
He’s doing me a favor just looking at it right now as he’s so busy with his own customers, that’s probably why it wasn’t checked. He’s a friend of a neighbour and is squeezing me in.

Ok, took it back to the place I was getting this fixed and he kept saying he was waiting for the fill valve as it was not a standard one. Too make a long story short, I picked up my RV hand ended up going away with empty propane tank, thank goodness I have my camping stove and electric site for the fridge. When I got back, I was able to get the fill valve myself within a week and Highland Propane in Fenelon Falls had it changed for me and filled me up in 20 minutes and filled me up for almost nothing. Now the issue is, I’m still smelling propane, the tank is shut off and no smell inside, and the lines were pressure tested so it’s not that, it’s just around the propane tank. I’ve sprayed soapy water but can’t see anything. Propane tank itself looks in good condition but could I be missing something?
I’m so frustrated at this point as it has been an ongoing since that dealer in April. P.S. this is not one of his units.

Maybe a local propane dealer can try to find it. Or buy a propane sniffer and try again yourself. The consumer grade sniffers aren't real expensive - around $30. Not as accurate as the $200 models, but they don't need to be to find a propane leak.

Maybe a local propane dealer can try to find it. Or buy a propane sniffer and try again yourself. The consumer grade sniffers aren't real expensive - around $30. Not as accurate as the $200 models, but they don't need to be to find a propane leak.
Thanks, I’m going to call them and see if they can find it for me. But first I’m going to take the casing off the regulator to make sure they tightened everything when they put the new one on.

Really hard to believe some company who fixed propane doesn't check for leaks after repairs are made. Gas isn't something you should fool with.

So big question is? Can this plug be replaced on the propane tank or do I have to replace the tank? 😳

Found it, I called the dealer that put in the regulator and he said he didn’t check the valve the propane goes in, and so soaped it and there was a pin hole leak, so taking it back in on Monday. 👍
Your experience, which you handled perfectly by the way, reminds me of a similar situation reported on a different RV forum.

The guy who posted about the event related they they experienced a propane leak inside their MH - he reported his DW lit an aromatic candle to cover the odor. Not knowing what DW meant, I guessed it meant "Ditzy Wife" which in its context, would make perfect sense.

Boy did he ream me a new one. He said "you insulted the mother of my children - you shouldn't even be allowed on this forum." I suggested several things: Go to your nearest anger management class, don't use initials that may be misconstrued, and develop a sense of humor.

Back
Top Bottom