Smoky arrives!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smoky

I am here.  But my motorhome is lagging behind.  Should get here sometime after mid-May.  In the meantime I am trailering and glad to be following this caravan.

This forum should work well when I am running dialup.

Smoky

Great to see you in our new home Smoky! Your full hookup site at Qz can now be confirmed for 2006.

Welcome Smoky. Glad you are here. 

Was glad to hear you may have a buyer for your property.  You are sure welcome to stop by Sam's Camp if you get to Lewistown, Mt.  Full hookups, Sat TV ready DTV or Dish, and wifi to internet Sat. 

Better get your reservation in for Moab 2006 at portal RV Park. The phone number for Portal is 800-574-2028. Tell Annie you are with the RV Forum group.

Thanks for the welcome.? I just hate this waiting around to get the new home on wheels, but having friends here on the Internet will help the time go by quickly.? ?:D

It will seem like a long wait but you are getting well perpared for the upcoming adventure.  Sam & I are looking forward to meeting you guys face to face.

Smoky,

Welcome to the new Forum!  I use dialup exclusively with no problem.  Sometimes I add a web page accelerator (Slipstream) but it isn't absolutely necessary.

Smokey

Glad to see you found us here.  I think that you will like the new format - we sure do  ;D .  Hang in there - your new coach will be ready before you know it!

Hi Smoky, Glad to see you here.  And also glad to hear that you've got a pretty good deal going with your land, meaning that you'll soon have your new coach--now then, which one did you say you are buying, and Oh yes, why that one :)

Ciao,

Doug

Doug:

The good news is that we narrowed our search down from a multitude to just three:

The Kountry Star from Newmar, IFS, Spartan chassis, 330 Cat or Cummins, 7.5 kw Onan, 39 1/2 feet
The Mandalay from Thor, IFS, Freightliner chassis, 350 Cat, 7.5 kw Onan, 40 feet, 2 baths
The Beaver Santiam, Roadmaster Chassis, 350 Cat, 8.0 Onan, 40 feet.

The Santiam is the best built and most livable but toughest to drive.
The Kountry Star is easiest to drive, but slightly cramped and least expensive.
The Mandalay is also easy to drive, spectacular in looks, and best fulltiming floorplan, but falls apart.

You could say we have eliminated the Mandalay because everyone we have test driven has had something fall apart.  Yet it is the one we "want" to justify buying and are still open to anyone who can convince us that it was just coincidence that we found 4 broken 2005 Mandalays.

Smoky that does not sound good for the quality of Thor products.  Have you looked at the Tiffin products.  From what I understand they build a great MH and have outstanding after sales support.

Ron:

Well it is kind of late to start over again.  We worked hard over many months to narrow down our choices to just three manufacturers.  It was not until we began test driving our final three that we discovered this multitude of structural problems with the Mandalay.

I cannot remember what ruled out Tiffin.  Likely it was price level.  We found the best cost benefit ratios with the Beaver Santiam, the Mandalay, and the Kountry Star.  I will try to take a quick look at the Tiffin web site and see if I can recall why they did not make our final list.

Smoky,

I mentioned Allegro because all the folks that I have talked to have nothing but praise for them and their customer support.  I have no idea about their pricing or what they offer.  A framily member here Has one they got withing the last year or so.  Hopefully they will jump in and tell us what there experience is.

The folks in the framiily that have Newmars seem to be satisfied with them too.

Having driven coaches with and without IFS I would highly recommend making IFS ver high on the must have list.

BTW they are make reservations for Moab 2006.  Details are in the  Rallies, Shows, & Events section along with phone nbr for Portal RV Park in Moab.

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?topic=249.30.

Smoky said:
Ron:

Well it is kind of late to start over again.? We worked hard over many months to narrow down our choices to just three manufacturers.? It was not until we began test driving our final three that we discovered this multitude of structural problems with the Mandalay.

I cannot remember what ruled out Tiffin.? Likely it was price level.? We found the best cost benefit ratios with the Beaver Santiam, the Mandalay, and the Kountry Star.? I will try to take a quick look at the Tiffin web site and see if I can recall why they did not make our final list.

Hi Smokey,

We have a Tiffin product, a 2003 Allegro Bus DP and we are THRILLED with it.? The resale is exceptional and they go fast if you want to put one on the market.?

Just a? comment on your statement that you don't want to start over again with your search.? Buying the wrong coach then having to resell it at a substantial loss is worth your time to keep looking if you can't find a coach that you are at least 95% happy with.?

Also, you have to keep in mind that no matter what you buy, there will be something that has to fixed or looked at.? These coachs have so many different products in them, something is bound to have a problem, only if it's a little one.? Ours was a microwave, it would work intermittenly and always worked when the service tech was checking it out.? After several service calls, I wrote a letter to Tiffin to tell them that although I had no proof that the microwave was broken, I was asking them to replace it.? I got a call from Bob Tiffin, himself telling me that they would drop ship a new microwave and pay all costs to have it put in.? They even paid to have the old one sent back to them.? We are a firm believer in Tiffin products!

Marsha~

Marsha

Your positive experience with Tiffin is similar to a number of others I've read and heard. Bob Tiffin sounds like one heck of a nice guy who stands behind his product.

Motorhome Review Online has the results of 10 years of owner surveys regarding motorhomes. You can see the article at http://www.motorhomereviewonline.com/manufacturers%27_value_ratings.htm

Smokey,

Smoky said:
Looks like as a result of this discussion the Kountry Star is in the lead with the Beaver a close second.

Both are fine coaches and I'm sure that you can be happy in either.  ;D

Smoky said:
You could say we have eliminated the Mandalay because everyone we have test driven has had something fall apart.? Yet it is the one we "want" to justify buying and are still open to anyone who can convince us that it was just coincidence that we found 4 broken 2005 Mandalays.

You sure about that?!  Sounds to me like Someone is trying to you something.

Yes I am sure.? Note I said want to justify not just want to buy.? We are going to buy the Newmar Kountry Star pusher unless Beaver makes us a last minute proposal we cannot resist,? As lovely as the Mandalay is, they have real problems.? Not just with their coaches, but with their people as well.? Today I spoke with their president, Mr. Yoder, and I can see "shadow of the leader".? The rudeness and curtness starts at the top.? Everyone else emulates it.

Smoky said:
As lovely as the Mandalay is, they have real problems.? Not just with their coaches, but with their people as well.? Today I spoke with their president, Mr. Yoder, and I can see "shadow of the leader".? The rudeness and curtness starts at the top.? Everyone else emulates it.

Smoky,

Would you care to elaborate on the problems you saw in their coaches...perhaps in a [urlhttp://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?topic=278.0]your posting, in the Motorhome section[/url].? The information would be very valuable for people looking for insights into various brands they might be considering.

Back
Top Bottom