SMTP server

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BernieD

A little thread drift, if you will.

It appears that, for me at least, the issue of SMTP server blockage of outgoing mail has disappeared. After a couple of weeks on the road this summer I finally realized that I never had to change SMTP server addresses to suit the ISP access I was using. I connected via Cox dial-up, Sprint PCS Vision over my cell phone, local ethernet and local wi-fi. Never once had to do anything with SMTP. In the past just switching between Cox and Sprint required changing the SMTP server setup in order to send mail, no longer.

If the SMTP server is authenticated, you have to log in using a user name and password, then you don't have to change it when switching connection.  If it's not authenticated, it's an open relay and will wind up on lots of spam filter black lists.

More and more ISP's are switching over to authenticated SMTP servers.  Even Earthlink.  You provide an id and password when the outgoing mail connection is made and everything works fine.  This is usually automatic in the email software, so you never need worry about it.

If they all had done this years ago, just like they did for Pop and Imap incoming mail servers, online life would have been at least a little bit easier.

Ned said:
If the SMTP server is authenticated, you have to log in using a user name and password, then you don't have to change it when switching connection.  If it's not authenticated, it's an open relay and will wind up on lots of spam filter black lists.

Ned

My point was that previously I had to log in with the correct SMTP server for whichever ISP I was going out over; smtp.cox.net, smtp.sprintpcs.com, smtp.direcway.com, etc. Not anymore, don't know what changed.

Without authentication, the ISP will require that the connection come from their network.? Some required both.? Most have now gone to just authentication and no longer require that you connect from their network.? DirecWay doesn't use authentication so you must connect via the DirecWay network to send email.

BernieD said:
A little thread drift, if you will.

It appears that, for me at least, the issue of SMTP server blockage of outgoing mail has disappeared. After a couple of weeks on the road this summer I finally realized that I never had to change SMTP server addresses to suit the ISP access I was using. I connected via Cox dial-up, Sprint PCS Vision over my cell phone, local ethernet and local wi-fi. Never once had to do anything with SMTP. In the past just switching between Cox and Sprint required changing the SMTP server setup in order to send mail, no longer.

I still have to change for Comcast.

Some ISPs will block port 25 (SMTP) for other than their own network rather than require authentication.  It's a lazy way of trying to stop the spammers.  Some email hosts, like Gmail, use a port other than 25 for SMTP so you can generally use Gmail for SMTP service regardless of the connection, even if port 25 is blocked.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom