Snowbirding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BinaryBob

Moderator Emeritus
Researching the purchase of my first class C. Not sure what to take into account for the extreme temperature change. We want to leave Minnesota around the first of January (temps well below freezing)and returning 4-8 weeks later back to freezing temps again.
How do the snowbirders handle these extremes? Both leaving and returning?

Typically, snowbirds leave before it gets too cold and don't go home until it gets warm :)

When we've left in cold temps, we'd drive south with the coach winterized until we got to where it was warm enough to 'un'winterize. Carry several gallon bottles of water to use until then.

Ah.. So our plan isn't "full migration."  :)
In your opinion, is this de-winterizing, then return trip winterizing worth the trouble for a 4-6 week break from old man winter? (I'm not entirely sure what's involved)

We used to do it before we decided it was easier to stay gone the whole winter. I suspect that we would find the dewinterizing procedure worth it for a 4-6 week trip if that was all the time I had. Certainly worth trying once to see what you think.

Wendy

We leave Minnesota the first week of Oct, and return no earlier than late April. Plan is to never winterize the coach. As said, if not able to do that, then drive south until warm enough to prevent freezing. On return winterize before getting back to sub zero temps. Then work out a plan to be able to stay south all winter next year.

BinaryBob said:
Ah.. So our plan isn't "full migration."  :)
In your opinion, is this de-winterizing, then return trip winterizing worth the trouble for a 4-6 week break from old man winter? (I'm not entirely sure what's involved)
Winterizing and de-winterizing are not a big deal at all. 15 minutes to 30 minutes tops. It would be well worthwhile to do it if you want to take a trip. You can read about the procedure in the library here at the forum.

Back
Top Bottom