So attaching towing equipnot going well today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Peggyy

My husband decided he could order all of the blue ox towing equipment and install it himself    He has finished everything except the braking system    He has now broken the switch that connects the wiring for the brakes so we cannot drive it at all.    We are leaving to go on a trip in the morning and this was going to be our first outing with the tow vehicle      I?m trying not to be upset here      We are having no luck finding someone who can fix this broken switch today    Sigh  Just needed to vent.....

Kevin Means said:
Hi Peggyy. Sorry you guys are having this problem. What brand of braking system is it, and exactly what switch broke?

Kev

Rvi system?  And it was the brake switch that broke so now our brakes are on all the time. We had to unplug the battery to turn them off.  Hopefully getting this fixed tomorrow.

Are you sure it was an RVI system, and not maybe Road Master?  I can't think of how someone could break the brake switch installing the RVI unit.

We've got an RVi 2 and all the switches are membrane switches. I suppose if you hit one hard enough with the edge of something hard it might break. Exactly what switch broke? Do you have the RVi, RVi 2 or RVi 3?

Kev

It wasnt the rvi switch.  It was the brake switch on our jeep.  It had to be unplugged in order to tie in the rvi to it and somehow a corner of it broke off.  Getting it fixed this morning.  $235  You are right. He may never hear the end of this.  Lol  But in his defense, It is really hard to get under the dash to connect this stuff!

I always hate it when I break something that is brake related, and end up with a broken piece.  It makes me want to break down and cry because now I'm broke.......and after that, I have to just take a break before I continue with the brakes!  :eek:

Hopefully, that made you smile, at least a little bit...not making fun, just trying to help with a stressful situation.

Are you talking about the brakes or the brake LIGHTS.. and if it's the brake lights on the Motorhome or towed..    The brake light switch for the towed is easy. any dealer can provide one in all likelihood or NAPA  Motorhome may be a bit of a problem or not, depending on the chassis.

John From Detroit said:
Are you talking about the brakes or the brake LIGHTS.. and if it's the brake lights on the Motorhome or towed..    The brake light switch for the towed is easy. any dealer can provide one in all likelihood or NAPA  Motorhome may be a bit of a problem or not, depending on the chassis.

The brake light switch.  We called at least ten places yesterday that did not have the part  and would have to order it , or they couldn?t get to us for a couple weeks .    Finally we found the part ourselves and purchased that and now he is gone this morning to try and get it repaired. 

Update.  We got the switch fixed and we were able to bring the jeep with us to sebastian inlet state park!  Our first time to tow it.  All went well until we got to the park.  Hubby backed our brand new rv into the hookup pole and broke the ladder on the back!  It has not been our week for rving.  Lol  This too shall pass.

Peggyy said:
Update.  We got the switch fixed and we were able to bring the jeep with us to sebastian inlet state park!  Our first time to tow it.  All went well until we got to the park.  Hubby backed our brand new rv into the hookup pole and broke the ladder on the back!  It has not been our week for rving.  Lol  This too shall pass.

What a week indeed  8)  Enjoy your Camping.  Next time, even if hubby refuses, it never hurts to be his spotter, and yell for the whole campground to hear if he is going to run into something or do something silly.  I might not prefer my wife to help me back up, I won't go there, but I'll always take a second set of eyes watching me  :))

:)  Well.  look at it this way. With a start like that it can only get better.

About that excuse for a ladder he broke.. I reached out and with one hand tore mine off ther RV.. I replaced it with a pair of "J" hooks that my auto body man made for me out of Diamond Plate Bumper metal.. two quarter inch lag's into solid wood (This is near the top of the RV) either one holds my 300 pounds with strength to spare.  I mounted a standard (Bath isle) "Grab bar" down about eye level and hand a combination  Step/Extension ladder my dad got at sears long time ago (he died in 1995) It's long enough to put me on the roof safely in extension mode and very useful in step for wash/wax mode.

I use a bicycle lock and stretch cords to tie ti to the grab bar so it "Hangs around"

Not to pile on, but to add to Spencer's good information. While you are in back watching him back, always look UP.  That the one place the driver cannot see at all and the easiest place to do the most damage. 

So sit back, enjoy the ride, and remember. It will all be a funny campfire story one day!

SargeW said:
Not to pile on, but to add to Spencer's good information. While you are in back watching him back, always look UP.  That the one place the driver cannot see at all and the easiest place to do the most damage. 

So sit back, enjoy the ride, and remember. It will all be a funny campfire story one day!

Thank you!  Good advice.  We do camp in some spots with heavy trees, etc.

And never stand right behind it just in case he wants retribution for the hard time he is no doubt getting this week ?

We have radios and i try not to be behind the TT just in case.

Our first camping trip, we: 
1.  Got stuck in the back yard trying to leave home.  CoachNet to the rescue!
2.  "rubbed" a tree on our way to the camp site.
3.  Backed into a tree, broke  ladder bracket, then rubbed a tree on the other side and bent the step bracket pulling out.

Other than that, it was uneventful  :-[

Welcome to RVing!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom