So I bought a cheap TOAD

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Isaac-1

I just saw the thread about someone failing at Van life, and I feel like a bit like I am going through the same sort of thing, for the last few months, maybe longer, I have been shopping for a cheap, light TOAD to drag around on solo trips, or when we just did not want to take our current TOAD, my wife's 2017 Jeep Cherokee. Anyway a potential TOAD showed up for sale on facebook classifieds about 60 miles away,a 2007 Toyota Yaris Hatchback setup with Roadmaster base plate installed, 1 owner, bought for TOAD duty in 2006, with a bit over 215,000 miles, after things came up forcing me to reschedule having my son drive me down to take a look at it twice, the 3rd time being the charm, some how it not having sold in over 2 weeks being listed for sale at what seemed a fair price, I made it down to look at it a week ago. Did the cursory kick the tires, look under the hood at nothing in particular, asked the seller about the history of the car (1 owner, always maintained a the local Toyota dealer, stack of receipts in the glove box, new tires last year, ...), took it on a short 1-2 mile test drive, made an offer which they accepted, without inspecting things to nearly the level I knew I should, maybe I was overly impressed by the immaculate condition of the interior, other than slight sun fade, and the carpet being a bit worn it was in near perfect shape...

Rushed over to a nearby notary do a bill of sale (it was 4:00 pm at this point, and they closed at 4:30), and off I went driving home in a $2,400 car whose condition appeared great at first glance, except for a few little blemishes, damage to the front bumper cover, etc. Only after getting home did I really take time to see what I had bought, the first thing I discovered was that the brake lights did not work, (quick reminder for future reference when buying a used car make sure the turn signals, headlights, brake lights, and windshield wipers work), the second thing I discovered was the wiper blades were shot, glad it did not rain on me on the way home (the car had been sitting in a metal carport a lot since 2019 due to covid). $50 later I had new wiper blades, and working brake lights thanks to a new brake stop switch. So far, so good since then, I have spent much of my free time the last week fixing similar cheap to fix stuff, removing the old bubbling window tint, installing new gas springs on the hatchback, replacing cracked tail lights, getting inspection sticker, insurance, registration, ... But I am still waiting for the other shoe to drop, waiting to find that floor board is rusted out, or that the engine is shot..... Over the next couple of days I plan to pull the front wheels off and inspect the front brakes, there was a receipt for a rear wheel hub and rear brakes in the glove compartment dated 2019, probably pull the front bumper cover off and inspect the bolts on the base plate before I tow it since I doubt they have been inspected since it was installed in 2006. I may get a new front bumper cover to replace the damaged one, but I am not sure how much money I should invest in what is intended to be a cheap TOAD. It is all to easy to spend too much I am already at over $500 and several hours of my time spent on this little $2,400 car, mostly $10-$20 here and there, the biggest items for far being, $178 for a Roadmaster Even Brake 2nd vehicle kit (break away switch, ICX transmitter, etc.), $80 for a Roadmaster to Blue Ox Adapter, $90 replacement rear tail lights, ...

This went on longer than I had planned when I started typing, so I will close here with a couple of photos

p.s. amazing how much better it looks just replacing the missing $15 hood emblem

Attachments

• 217318936_10208583371579926_7629868118674544196_n.jpg
    217318936_10208583371579926_7629868118674544196_n.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 232081887_10208623622306169_2720715595213882062_n.jpg
    232081887_10208623622306169_2720715595213882062_n.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 18
The price is a large part of why I bought it, I guess a lot of people are scared off by the 215,000+ miles on the odometer, which does not worry me as much as it will not be a daily driver. At a certain point it just does not make sense to put money into buying a cheap car, if it is no longer cheap, the $500 per year it will cost to insure is bad enough, but add in additional cost here and there, and it would soon make more sense just to rent something on the road on trips where it might be needed. Though what really made me buy this one and not keep shopping was the condition of the interior as most sub $3,000 cars make you feel like you need to wear a hazmat suit just to sit in the drivers seat, here is an interior photo, there is some sun fading on the fabric and a few spots on the headliner, along with some carpet wear, but overall I have seen rental cars with less than a tenth as many miles with the interior in worse shape.

Attachments

• yaris-interior.jpg
    yaris-interior.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 13
That was going to be my guess too. Those seats don't look like they have over 200K worth of seat time on them. Another good check is look at the brake pedal to see how worn it is. The rubber pad is seldom ever replaced since new.

I used to be in the camp of renting cars on a trip but it depends a lot on where you are (urban vs rural) and how far ahead you can anticipate a reservation. Best case I've called and in an hour or two a car appears at the RV park. Anymore, with the rental agencies being cut off at the knees by shutdowns last year compounded by the "chip" car shortage you'd better make your reservations well in advance for busy destinations. The way it's worked out is if it's a rural destination I just drive the RV wherever and just deal with having to park in BFE and manage the logistics of doing that. After a few years of renting or schlepping around in the RV, this is the year I will break down and buy a brake and tow bar for a toad.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

I agree that the mileage doesn't seem to match the wear. Other places to look is corners. Crap (Dust, bits of leaf and grass) accumulate in corners (along seat rails, trunk) and can be tough to clean up. Still 200K on a well cared for modern engine or transmission is still fairly new. If they used synthetic lubricants all it's life it might not show any wear at all.

As long as the monthly maintenance/repair costs are less than a new car payment, I'd say you done good.

Kevin

Last edited:
I am not sure if the odometer counts while towing or not, there seems to be very little information online about people towing a Yaris, just a handful of posts on the various forums over the years, most of which are about as extensive as someone saying I tow one. It is one thing I will check out with the Roadmaster to Blue Ox adapter gets here.

Looks like a great find. Those little go-carts are easy to work on, I'm sure you'll get it mechanically sound fairly easy and inexpensive.

Tow mileage shouldn't count in a 2006. It's an electronic odometer, so as long as the ignition isn't in the ON position, miles should not add. But maybe the former owner didn't know he should have used ACC instead of ON to unlock the steering wheel (as stated in the Yaris owner manual under Dinghy Towing.

I presuming this is a stick shift Yaris, right?

Yes, it is stick shift, very basic car, manual windows, and amazingly enough it does not even have anti lock brakes (they were optional). Overall mechanically I have not found any issues, just have incomplete repair records, though what I have looks good, various oil change receipts, oil pan gasket, right rear wheel bearing, rear brakes in the last couple of years all done at the local Toyota dealer, ... I don't know about front brakes, shocks, struts, etc. but so far the most serious issue I have found other than the front bumper cover are a few bits of rust starting, and one of the hatch back gas spring mounts being torn out of the sheet metal (looks like the welds for the mounting bracket failed).

We have rented in the past when we have traveled TOADless, and ballpark figure it seems to average about $500-$600 per week to rent a basic car, or at least it did before covid, checking our local Enterprise rental car a compact car is currently going for $540 per week. If we assume we keep this Yaris for another 10 years driving it limited mileage, amortize out the investment plus figure $200 per year in maintenance and $500 per year for insurance, we come out around $950 per year in cost of ownership, give or take. Meaning if we were to rent for 2 weeks per year we are ahead on dollars, now accounting for added cost in gasoline to tow it around. Figure in the convenience factor of being able to quickly unhook and re-hook to explore around at overnight stops, etc. I think it is probably a winner. One thing about the Yaris is that it hook up and unhook procedure is a lot simpler than our Cherokee, which involves flipping switches, then going a dance with the ignition key, brake pedal and pressing the transfer case neutral button, all of which takes about 2-3 minutes. With the Yaris it is drop it into neutral, turn off the hand brake, and put the key in the accessory position and go, figure 10 seconds, less if I were to disable the steeringwheel lock.

A $2,500 car that you only had to put $500 more into it. That is a good deal especially since the previous owner kept all the records. Change the oil and fluids as needed and it should last over 300,000 miles.

Well now that I have dragged the Yaris all the way across Texas I can confirm that the odometer DOES count miles with the key off and the transmission in neutral while under tow. (it tows great, need the rear view camera on to know it is back there) Which I guess is a good thing since the odometer was reading 215,000 miles when I bought it last month, and the previous owner is on their 3rd motorhome since buying the Yaris new in 2006, I therefore suspect a lot of the miles are towing miles.

I assume the key has to be turned to unlock the steering column while being towed. Is it truly off or in the Accessory position which may energize the odometer?

I have a 2007 Saturn Toad with Roadmaster base plate and Roadmster All Terain tow bar ... (79,000 miles).
Will sell for $3500,
Located in Wisconsin

That's a nice looking ride. I think you stole it. Any sub $5k car will always have a ton of issues. You will get your money back when you sell it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom