So, so many OLD threads being reopened, how?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlesinGA

Seems to be a spate of them lately, someone comes along and re-opens a rather old thread, many times over ten years old. I do realize they may have been searching for something and the search returned the old thread in the hits, but the usual responses look like people casually perusing threads and going "Hey, I have a solution to that! think I'll post."

Its annoying, as I have to pay particular attention to the dates, and then I just quit reading.

Is there some way to limit this? I know on another forum the software apparently has an option that is enabled, and when you go to post in an old thread, you will get a pop up box............

Old Thread Warning
exclamation.gif
This Thread is more than 587 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.
[ ] I am aware that this Thread is rather old but I still want to make a reply.

Is is possible with the software RVForum uses to do this? Set it for 180 days or something like that, certainly less than a year.

I will have to say, the software selected for this forum while different than any I have encountered on any other forum, is absolutely the best I have ever seen, especially at handling images, quotes, a resources section, the ability to like a thread (or any one of several other variations of emoticons).

The only reason I see for reopening an old thread is for the ORIGINAL POSTER to return and post a resolution of more information about what was discussed during the threads life.

Charles

Seems to be a spate of them lately, someone comes along and re-opens a rather old thread, many times over ten years old. I do realize they may have been searching for something and the search returned the old thread in the hits, but the usual responses look like people casually perusing threads and going "Hey, I have a solution to that! think I'll post."

Its annoying, as I have to pay particular attention to the dates, and then I just quit reading.

Is there some way to limit this? I know on another forum the software apparently has an option that is enabled, and when you go to post in an old thread, you will get a pop up box............

Old Thread Warning
exclamation.gif
This Thread is more than 587 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.
[ ] I am aware that this Thread is rather old but I still want to make a reply.

Is is possible with the software RVForum uses to do this? Set it for 180 days or something like that, certainly less than a year.

I will have to say, the software selected for this forum while different than any I have encountered on any other forum, is absolutely the best I have ever seen, especially at handling images, quotes, a resources section, the ability to like a thread (or any one of several other variations of emoticons).

The only reason I see for reopening an old thread is for the ORIGINAL POSTER to return and post a resolution of more information about what was discussed during the threads life.

Charles
This isn't an option in our current software (requires an add-on that has not yet been acquired). Our forum staff does give responders a heads-up that they posted to an old thread, hoping that will cause folks to check the age of threads they're replying to.

FWIW we had such an auto warning in our old forum software, but it didn't prevent folks from replying.

I'll check if the current forum owners wish to acquire the add-on.

Last edited:
I think a lot of newer members are not experienced with forums and don't realize they are opening an old thread. Happened to me when I joined an auto forum. Kind of embarrassing when another member pointed out my error.

I think a lot of newer members are not experienced with forums and don't realize they are opening an old thread. Happened to me when I joined an auto forum. Kind of embarrassing when another member pointed out my error.
I agree that some will be this, but getting a warning does help legitimate posters. I notice a lot of these can be spam. Pity it's not available.

I agree that some will be this, but getting a warning does help legitimate posters. I notice a lot of these can be spam. Pity it's not available.
I wonder if the size of the font just for the date could be increased so that it sticks out. maybe a different color also.

Last edited:
I don't mind at all if old threads get new life. If the old thread is something I am interest in I read all the thread posts. If I have no interest I don't open the thread. If I think I can help I look at the date and don't open if old unless I have additional interest.

I think a lot of these resurrections are from folks that land here by a google search. Many you see are by folks with only a few posts and don't notice, or don't understand the significance of the last activity date. Most (all?) the other forums I'm in the thread locks after some period of inactivity, not sure why this one would be any different.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

I wonder if the size of the font just for the date could be increased so that it sticks out. maybe a different color also.
Rene,
I believe we're using a custom theme created by a 3rd party, and I suspect that RVL would need to have the 3rd party modify the theme. I haven't looked in my own install of this forum software to understand how big a deal it would be.

Edit: Looks like there are lots of options for tweaks to fonts and colors in the Admin panel, so possibly no need for coding. I'd need to drill down further.

Last edited:
I think a lot of these resurrections are from folks that land here by a google search. Many you see are by folks with only a few posts and don't notice, or don't understand the significance of the last activity date.
Good point Mark, that could well be.

OTOH they don't bother me personally. Maybe I need to pay more attention to see how much of an issue it really is.

Rene,
I believe we're using a custom theme created by a 3rd party, and I suspect that RVL would need to have the 3rd party modify the theme. I haven't looked in my own install of this forum software to understand how big a deal it would be.
The warning would have been better in my opinion but if not available then I'm not sure changing font etc. will make a difference especially if using a cell phone.

I think a lot of these resurrections are from folks that land here by a google search. Many you see are by folks with only a few posts and don't notice, or don't understand the significance of the last activity date. Most (all?) the other forums I'm in the thread locks after some period of inactivity, not sure why this one would be any different.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
I agree. For folks who find us via a google search and post to an old thread, generally get the help they seek anyway. Hopefully regular members will be welcoming and helpful and get them pointed in the right direction.

One of the big issues with old thread warnings is that they don't work well for mobile users. The "click to affirm intent to post" just doesn't function.

Back
Top Bottom