Social Security, Cold War Veterans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scott 3

There was a news article a couple of years ago that there is a law about Cold War Veterans being eligible for a slight bump in SS benefits.  The veteran supposedly just needs to bring a DD214 to a SS office.  The years of eligibility were approximately the 1950s or 60s through about 1991-2.  Has anyone heard of this and/or successfully applied for this?

was it an automatic raise to those already drawing SS ?

As I remember it, it was something that was already accounted for whenever you apply for SS.  There was nothing extra or special you needed to do.

How it was figured depends on which years your service occurred. I was credited with an extra $300 in income per quarter for my active duty time in the 60's. For service between 1978 and 2001, you are credited with an additional $100 in earnings up to a maximum of $1,200 a year for every $300 in active duty basic pay. In 2002 the law was changed to eliminate the extra credit.

www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/military.html#2002

NY Dutch..."the law was changed in 2002"... If I read this correctly you are saying no one gets this anymore?

as I just read that it says the money was dropped for service members after 2001

" Military service in calendar year 2002 and future years no longer qualifies for these special extra earnings credits "

All part of our military's Low Pay and Benefit Package.

sightseers said:
as I just read that it says the money was dropped for service members after 2001

" Military service in calendar year 2002 and future years no longer qualifies for these special extra earnings credits "

All part of our military's Low Pay and Benefit Package.

Tell me about it.

OBX said:
NY Dutch..."the law was changed in 2002"... If I read this correctly you are saying no one gets this anymore?

If you served in the years indicated, yes, you still get the extra credits. If you served after 2001, you will not get the extra credits.

Thank all of you guys for the info. I had no idea so I will look out for it. Kudos to the OP.

For many of us, the extra credits were basically meaningless since Social Security retirement benefits are calculated based on our 35 highest earnings years. Military pay being what it was, those years aren't commonly included for non-career vets.

I was in from 1961 to 1981 and started taking SS in 2003.  I am assuming that the extra benefits were computed into my final SS pay but I cringe when I use the word 'assume'.

Bill

after my time in the Army,    I just 'assume' the Government will screw up everything they touch.  ;D

Bill N said:
I was in from 1961 to 1981 and started taking SS in 2003.  I am assuming that the extra benefits were computed into my final SS pay but I cringe when I use the word 'assume'.

Bill

A check with your local SS office would likely sort that out. The earnings record in the online accounts don't break it out, but if you have records of your actual earnings for each of those years, you could figure it out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom