Sofa won't clean-up in used RV - Anyone try recovering a rv sofa??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JerrySue

We bought a used Rexhall Aerbus about 18 months ago.  It had very few miles, but had obviously been lived in a lot.  The sofa is a jackknife style and the cushions and structure and function is fine.  The only problem is it is very soiled.  I've tried every type of cleaner and nothing really has much impact.  I've tried just keeping a throw cover on it, but our two Boston Terriers think those are nice blankets that need to be rumpled into nests.  Replacement sofas are pretty expensive, so my husband suggested I try to recover it or dye the fabric.

I don't have a clue as to where to start.  Someone also suggested 'fabric paint'  Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Sue

Can you sew and use a staple gun?? ?You can recover the sofa if you are handy and have the equipment to sew heavier fabric.? ?I can explain in detail but really just un-upholster the sofa, use the cut and sewn pieces as a pattern and re-upholster.? Easily said but not easy to do.? ?Don't have it done by a pro unless you check prices.? Sometimes it's cheaper to buy new than redo.? ?You might try to make a deal with a pro to give them the old pieces and you let them cut and sew and then you re-cover.? You do the grunt labor.? Again, you need to have some experience and be very handy.?
I spent 40 yrs in furniture industry.? Now it's all made in China.? Flexsteel, the biggest Upholstery vendor to the RV Industry, is still in the USA.
Joe

Most of these sofas are the same size  Why not go to the Library and check the list of RV salvage places and see what it would cost to replace the cover or the entire couch.  In the Midwest  of the Mississippi river there is Colaw's, close to Joplin, Mo.  Worth a try anyway  These places scattered through out the country do ship

Thanks Tom  My head isn't on straight today and never even thought of listing it myself.

Thank you, everyone, for your replies.  I may have to try to recover the sofa, but really don't have the experience to expect it will turn out too well.  Just getting it out will be a challenge.  I think I'll try to find a reasonably priced replacement one first.  In the meantime, I'll continue to try to keep a throw over it in spite of the bulldogs.  (They stay OFF the furniture at home, but I can't seem to get any cooperation in the RV!)  I'll spend some more time following the links on your list; maybe I'll get lucky!  Thanks again for your replies!
Sue

For cleaning... Some stains do set in the fabric and not much will get them out if anything.

But did you try the power of STEAM,, ,I mean regular tap water at around 220 degrees (Yes, I know it boils at 212)  I once took on a hopeless job, Now I'll admit it was steam proof, but when I started it was black and when I finished it was white.  My relief said "You must have used some powerful cleaner" I told him I used plain tap water, nothing in it but what the city put there at the pump station.

Sure impressed the folks in the office.

I've used steam on some carpet stains too, but with mixed success,  You need a wet/dry vacuum as well such as a shop vac

I recently had our sofa recovered by a professional RV interior company. (Countryside Interiors in Junction City, Oregon)  It was the same price to recover as it would have been to purchase a new one. Found out standard new ones are not my dimensions.  I had it done because they had fabric I liked in stock and could do it within one week.  Timing is everything. After watching them do it, I would not attempt it on my own as the sofa get lots of  wear and my sewing ability, machines  and equipment are lacking .  I will recover the  chairs as I think I can do them with a simple staple gun.  It looks so much better than the crumpled throws I used to use to cover the holes in the seats!
Betty

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awiltzius
Back
Top Bottom