Soft kids generation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Why are kids today so concerned about things we think are petty and menial? Because younger people may be the first ones in history that don't have bigger issues to worry about. Our grandfathers had WWI and the depression, our fathers had WWII, our generation grew up thinking nuclear war would kill us all but didn't, and our kids had 9/11. But note each generation had less to worry about than the previous generation. A 20 year old today never watched the 2nd twin tower collapse. So they have nothing to worry about but social injustice and their own desires and wants. Their molehills are mountains to them.

But the current pandemic may change all that. If we don't get Covid under control they may have bigger fish to fry. In 2060 they may look back and say our generation had it easy and they might be right.

Kids today kill themselves because people make fun of them on Facebook for posting pictures of themselves picking their nose.

I can't figure out why they post pictures of themselves picking their nose.

My guess is they need attention.

Parents today are too busy trying to find new mates after divorcing or leaving the last one.

Kids come in last place. Parents, and I don't care which generation you are discussing:

They are all about ME. My kid will have to adapt. I deserve a great life. I messed up when I was with their other parent and now I need a new life. The kid will just have to adapt.

These parents deny all that though. hahahhahaha

I just found a bag of money on the couch. Asked my wife where it came from and she said it belonged to our grandson; he’s nine. My wife said they went around their neighborhood selling apples (they have a couple of apple trees in their yard). Our grandson and his sister made $18. One day they found there was a crew of Amish workers building a house down the street from us. They came home and made a couple pitchers of lemonade and came back with $10.

Do your grandchildren live with you @Oldgator73 or their parents?
Depends on what time of the year it is. We have them about 12 hours a day, 5 days a week in the summer. For the year they did school on Zoom we had them during the week for about 12 hours a day. We pay them for work they do; pulling weeds, helping us around the house, working around our property in Virginia. Don’t get me wrong, left to their own devices they will stay on their tablets and phones all day.

It is nice when grandparents participate in the family.
Our kids didn’t experience that. Being military we were seldom in our hometown. Grandparents that are seldom around grandkids don’t understand that those of us that are essentially primary caregivers have to treat GK’s like they are our kids. That means no spoiling and discipline.

It sure worked on me!
You are in the minority. Most kids get resentful. Why was it against the law beat an adult but okay to beat a child? Laws have changed now. Schools ca no longer paddle kids, and for good reason. How many out there would be okay with a stranger beating your child or grandchild? Not me. I got a paddling in junior high school for climbing a tree in the school courtyard. I was bruised from the back of my knees to the small of my back. I didn’t tell my parents. My dad might of gone to the school and done worse to the vice principal.

You are in the minority. Most kids get resentful. Why was it against the law beat an adult but okay to beat a child? Laws have changed now. Schools ca no longer paddle kids, and for good reason. How many out there would be okay with a stranger beating your child or grandchild? Not me. I got a paddling in junior high school for climbing a tree in the school courtyard. I was bruised from the back of my knees to the small of my back. I didn’t tell my parents. My dad might of gone to the school and done worse to the vice principal.
There is and was a difference between beating and paddling. The shop teacher would make a paddle with holes drilled in it and the one with the most paddles would get it at the end of the year. But you did fear back talking or repeated acting up and disrupting real teaching of the subjects that educated you to be less ignorant as you graduated and left home.

And yes leaving home was a real badge of honor and living on your own, whether it be going to college or being drafted at our time and got a real education as you were deployed to different regions of the world from your community. Structure, instead kids running wild without some form of reprisals surely made the world and the communities better.

One great example was that the shotguns were in gun racks in unlocked vehicles without a single thought of shooting up the schools and thief. Kids from my era knew and respected other people's property. There was not repeated break ins by the same kids so that they could sell some items for a quick high. Today they are released to commit simular crimes to even kill for a joy ride and film the robberies and post it on social media. Some scumbags can never be rehabbed, but authorities now do not care about the citizens they are supposed to protect.

Last edited:
Oldgator, I was resentful but after I grew up I realized discipline probably saved my life. I assume you were one of those kids who didn't ride your bike off the roof down a 1x12 plank. Along with every other kid in the neighborhood. And our dads expected the owner of the house to stop it and paddle every neighborhood kid he could catch.

Oldgator, I was resentful but after I grew up I realized discipline probably saved my life. I assume you were one of those kids who didn't ride your bike off the roof down a 1x12 plank. Along with every other kid in the neighborhood. And our dads expected the owner of the house to stop it and paddle every neighborhood kid he could catch.
You would wrong to think I didn’t do unsafe and stupid things.my brother and I took a sheet out in a hurricane to see if we could fly. My cousin and I transported a live rattle snake in his fathers station wagon and couldn’t find it later (it was uber the front seat). We skateboarded down suicide hill and often lost a great percentage of our skin. And we got our share of spankings. Didn’t help. We continued to do what we did until we grew up and realized we now had responsibilities.
There is and was a difference between beating and paddling.
I got beat. A paddling does not leave bruising from the back of your knees to the small of your back. And if you get a award for most paddlings such as the paddle itself, it cannot be a deterrent. Kids, boys especially, will do whatever it takes to get that reward.

I got beat. A paddling dI got beat. A paddling does not leave bruising from the back of your knees to the small of your back. And if you get a award for most paddlings such as the paddle itself, it cannot be a deterrent. Kids, boys especially, will do whatever it takes to get that reward.
Actually I don't recall anyone wanting to get more paddlings so that they could get the paddle. It was a scorn upon you to be sent to the principal's office. That alone was a deterrent . Of course when you got home you had to deal with another "structure" of decipline in my era of existence.

So the reward was just a way to say to others that beware more than anything. Remember everyone walked in a straight line to lunch? Along with saying the pledge in the morning before class began, I think both speaks to some form of structure that was just another part of learning. YMMV of course.

Last edited:
YMMV of course.
(Your money may vanish) of course, when you get divorced, and no more money for your kids.

too funny.

Listening to you guys, most of you would have been mass murderers if your parents didn't beat/discipline you.

You had no COMMON sense taught in your neck of the woods?

(Your money may vanish) of course, when you get divorced, and no more money for your kids.

too funny.

Listening to you guys, most of you would have been mass murderers if your parents didn't beat/discipline you.

You had no COMMON sense taught in your neck of the woods?
The human being does not come with a preprogramed hard drive or even an instruction manual the day we all were born. This is where parenting comes into play as we all grew up to what used to be considered adulthood. But the day you stop learning is the day that we all die, even though we may be still breathing.

Back
Top Bottom