solar connector

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bill c112

Need a new connector for the side of my RV to connect the two wires from my 800 watts of portable solar panels going through the wall to my solar converter. What type of connectors do I need.

So does the side of your RV have an MC4 connector you're trying to mate with, or something else? Or are you looking to put in a new connector from scratch?

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

So does the side of your RV have an MC4 connector you're trying to mate with, or something else? Or are you looking to put in a new connector from scratch?

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
New connector from scratch on the other side of camper. I have a small maybe 15" square access door where i put my solar controller and I want to connect my portable solar panel wires there. When I put the wires out....if I leave them hanging out the open door and it rains I can't shut the door....lol

As long as you disconnect and reconnect from time to time I like Andersion Power Poles.

I tried an MC4 and though they connecte easily, disconnecting was not easy.

Andersons can be configured so that you can use them for multiple things in such a way you can't accidently plug into the wrong jack. For example for 12 volt you lay them - - with the Red (positive) on the right and the TAB up as you look into the connector
For other voltages I might lay 'em || or |- or some such so as to make sure I don't plug into the wrong connector. Can do other things with them to "Code" them as well.

As long as you disconnect and reconnect from time to time I like Andersion Power Poles.

I tried an MC4 and though they connecte easily, disconnecting was not easy.

Andersons can be configured so that you can use them for multiple things in such a way you can't accidently plug into the wrong jack. For example for 12 volt you lay them - - with the Red (positive) on the right and the TAB up as you look into the connector
For other voltages I might lay 'em || or |- or some such so as to make sure I don't plug into the wrong connector. Can do other things with them to "Code" them as well.
I would also recommend Anderson connectors, MC4 connectors are not intended for frequent disconnection/reconnection cycles. Also, 800 Watts is a bit high for a single set of connectors, unless you are using a high panel voltage. Anderson's are available in various "bulkhead" configurations too..
Such as This.

Last edited:
You can get some 'oddball' AC household connectors that cannot be easily mistaken or used for 120V. They are made to be connected and separated often.

I bought this 20 amp connector (I think) from Home Depot to connect my battery bank through a homemade "zip" wire extension to run an external 12v water pump.

Attachments

• OddballPlug.jpg
    OddballPlug.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 1
You can make a idiot proof 12v adapter plug using the ground and neutral pins of a standard 15A plug/receptacle pair. That lets you use a standard 120v extension cord as a 12v extension capable of 15, 20 or even 30 amps. Wire the 12v Plus & Minus to those two terminals and make a similar adapter for the other end that connects those terminals to battery terminals (clip leads) or other 12v source. Is somebody mistakenly plugs one to a 120v outlet, the 12v device only shorts 120v neutral to ground and nothing happens (neutral & ground are normally connected at the source anyway).

Good thing about MC4 connectors is that are water resistant If your leaving the connector outside.

Back
Top Bottom