Solar flex 200

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Isaac-1

My point is that in actual practical RV life one may be space/weight constrained to the 5000WH of Lead Acid, therefore necessitating routinely draining below the 50% charge level, it also may be more practical to take this performance hit vs the cost of modifying battery trays, etc. in order to fit more Lead acid batteries.

Lets use this historical typical example from say 10-15 years ago before LiFePo4 was a real practical option. RV comes from the factory equipped with 1 or 2 deep cycle batteries, and a battery tray that will hold at most 2 golf cart batteries. Adding 2 more batteries in order to allow the user to never discharge below 50% would require having a welding shop fabricate a custom battery tray which cost lets say $750+ (based on online accounts of people that have done it), then there is the cost of the 2 additional batteries at lets say $150 each, for a total cost of roughly $1,100 once you add in additional battery cables, tie downs, etc. Now lets say that in actual RV use deep discharging these batteries some of the time cuts the service life of the batteries in half, turning that 7 year service life into 3.5 years, the owner is still at brake even after 7 years (ie 4 x $150 worth of batteries every 7 years vs 2 x 2 x $150 worth of batteries every 3.5 years). I will leave it as an exercise to the student to figure out how much deep discharging the lead acid battery would have to shorten the service life of the battery for it to make up for the expense of adding a larger battery tray, and if this would happen in the typical 15-20 year lifespan of most RV's

Bearcatrp

I created extensive material on Victron Controllers and would be glad to help you out.

Here is a link to their manual for reference: https://www.victronenergy.com/uploa...charge-controller-MPPT-100-30-&-100-50-EN.pdf

In short the bluetooth app is extremely robust and has many parameters. It will automatically adjust to the panels voltage (up to 100v of series panels), but you'll want to enter the charge parameters.
Victron has several battery profiles with fixed voltages for bulk, absorption, float etc. They also have user defined to enter custom settings.

What battery type do you have? I have a guide that can help.View attachment 155014
I would be afraid to make any adjustments at this time since I have no clue what I would be doing. Don’t think the so called guru knew much about keystone system in my rv. He commented that if I went lithium, would probably have to change out the inverter and control panel. Will probably get ahold of keystone before doing this when I make the jump.

Mark_K5LXP

The thing with deep cycle AGM batteries is their life is severely decremented if you use the battery past the 50% State of Charge on a consistent basis.
What is "severely" - ? Why don't battery data sheets show this?

Here is an estimate of AGM battery life based on how far you drain the batteries:
That shows a decreasing cycle life with deeper discharge. But, don't you get more energy from the battery with the deeper discharge? Cycles of themselves don't power your equipment - amp hours do.

Since most people will never wear their batteries out by cycling them in typical use, why would it matter then how deeply they're discharged?

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

canuckrv

Just looking at your picture it looks like you need a jumper between the first two posts or am I missing something?

Top Bottom