Solar Panel Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rclark

Hello, I recently bought a 94 Pace Arrow, I'm still learning it's functions, didn't come with a manual but have one coming from Fleetwood ! It has a solar panel and the the light stays on at the corner of the AC all the time!! My question is does it charge the batteries constantly even when I have the MAIN and AUX. switches turned off??

I've learned allot about my MH from this forum, I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to answer questions for those of us that do not know!! Sometimes it's the simplest things that are asked but when you don't know it's best to ask!!!!

Randy

Randy

I would also like to know more about that solar panel.

I have the manuals for our RV but still cant find anything.

Our solar panel is so small (18inch x 6inch) that I wonder what it COULD actually provide power to.

Paul

rclark said:
Hello, I recently bought a 94 Pace Arrow, I'm still learning it's functions, didn't come with a manual but have one coming from Fleetwood ! It has a solar panel and the the light stays on at the corner of the AC all the time!! My question is does it charge the batteries constantly even when I have the MAIN and AUX. switches turned off??

I've learned allot about my MH from this forum, I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to answer questions for those of us that do not know!! Sometimes it's the simplest things that are asked but when you don't know it's best to ask!!!!

Randy

Its a 5 watt unit that supposedly trickle charges the chassis batteries when there is sun light regardless of other things that might be working as well..  I say supposedly because the real power is significantly less than 5 watts which is a very minimal amount to start with. Solar panels are rated at 70 degrees and capacity decreases as temperature increases. In addition, the angle of sun to panel is important and since it can't be elevated or rotated its seldom in proper orientation for mav power. I accept whatever it can do and  otherwise basically ignore it.

Humm  "and since it can't be elevated or rotated its seldom in proper orientation for mav power"

Sun Tracker

The url above is a toy, however there is a company which demonstrated at QZ last jan that is making a sun tracker that does both azimuth and elevation, holds either a 3'x6' or 6' square panel (or 2 3x6) and claims to double your output.

Neat toy,  I think I have a variation of the plans lying about in a very old Popular Electronics mag (you know how old cause PE went out of publication before "The youngest fulltimer" here in the forum was conceived!)

It is likely the solar panel is wired direct to whatever battery bank it is supposed to charge, so the battery disconnects won't affect it.  But the light should go off at night when there is no sun  - if not, it is being powered by the batteries themselves and is miswired.

Thanks for all the replies!! Gary I'll have to check it at night and see if it goes out!! We haven't been anywhere yet since we bought it still getting familiar with everything and stocked!! I guess the first outing will be to the Washington Redskins and Philadelphia Eagles game on the 10th of Dec.. Hoping I don't have to winterize before then!!

Randy

To John in Detroit.
I have the solar panel kit you are talking about on my 30ft 5er. bought from the company you are talking about.
It comes in a kit. Hand Held Remote raises panels to 45 degrees, then spins unit to face the sun and then
tracks it so panels are in the face of the sun for as long as the sun is up. It continues to track all night so it
is in the face of the sun the next morning produceing power while I am having coffee. Little spendy buy I pulled it from
my old 5er and put it on my new one. Cheaper than a built in Onan. If anyone is interested let me know and I will give
you there website. Happy camping.

Back
Top Bottom