Solar Worked!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oldgator73

Just stayed at Shenandoah NP where there are no hookups. When we got there I got all setup but forgot to switch the fridge from battery to gas. Woke up Monday morning with dead batteries. Hooked my cheap Habor Frieght 45 watt solar panels to one of the batteries. Charged before nightfall. The solar system kept the battery charged all week. Very happy with it.

... but forgot to switch the fridge from battery to gas. Woke up Monday morning with dead batteries.

If you have a 12V heating option running the fridge, using that would surely kill a battery!!!!

Otherwise, although it is true, the fridge controls use 12V from the batteries, even under gas (propane): But.... the heater element when on electric uses 120V from the shore facility (hookups) when available. Unless you are using an inverter to supply 120V from the batteries, the fridge operation should not kill an adequately charged battery in only one night!!

Live and learn  :)

Alfa38User said:
If you have a 12V heating option running the fridge, using that would surely kill a battery!!!!

Otherwise, although it is true, the fridge controls use 12V from the batteries, even under gas (propane): But.... the heater element when on electric uses 120V from the shore facility (hookups) when available. Unless you are using an inverter to supply 120V from the batteries, the fridge operation should not kill an adequately charged battery in only one night!!

Live and learn  :)

We have a 3 way fridge. When parked where there is shore power it is on 110. When driving it is on battery. When the truck is running the battery stays charged. When there are no utilities the fridge runs on the propane. I don?t know anything about a heater element. I?ve had folks tell me their fridge will run down the battery anywhere from 4 hours to two days.

Oldgator73 said:
Just stayed at Shenandoah NP where there are no hookups. When we got there I got all setup but forgot to switch the fridge from battery to gas. Woke up Monday morning with dead batteries. Hooked my cheap Habor Frieght 45 watt solar panels to one of the batteries. Charged before nightfall. The solar system kept the battery charged all week. Very happy with it.

That's awesome news to read!  :)  I had read mixed reports on whether or not they are worth the cost; this helps - thanks!

Back
Top Bottom