Some basic TPMS questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jymbee

Looking to buy this TPMS: https://tinyurl.com/yblfxzb7

We don't have our tow vehicle yet but it seems it would be a good idea to ahead and get the 10 sensor system now. Just not sure which option makes sense between "Flow through", "anti-theft", and "Mix". Anti-theft is self-explanatory I guess but what's the difference between the other 2 options?

Installation seems pretty simple from what I can tell-- yes?

I?ve had the Eezrv system for 3 years and am very satisfied with it. I would recommend the antitheft sensors; the flow-throughs are quite large plus you just don?t air your tires enough to save any time.

Depending on what tow vehicle you buy you might not need aftermarket tpms for the tow vehicle as a lot of newer ones come with it. So you might only need it for the trailer; then 10 sensors would be way too many.
We have the TST 507 TPMS system for our trailer. Since our trailer wheels have rubber valve stems I got the non-flow through (tamper resistant, nothing is "proof") because they weigh the least amount so put the least amount of weight on the rubber stems. All batteries were included and we've had the system a year and a half and haven't had to replace batteries in the sensors yet. The battery in the display is rechargeable so that's easy to do just by plugging in the 12V cord to the display and the 12V outlet in the truck.
https://www.amazon.com/Tire-Pressure-Monitor-System-Tst/dp/B00KPQZS2O/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1533207560&sr=8-10&keywords=tst+TPMS

Anyway, might want to wait and see what TV you get before deciding how many sensors to buy.

Depending on what tow vehicle you buy you might not need aftermarket tpms for the tow vehicle as a lot of newer ones come with it. So you might only need it for the trailer; then 10 sensors would be way too many.
The problem with that statement is that the built in sensors and reporting for the toad only talk to you when you are driving the toad -- they don't help at all while the toad is under tow.

We, too, have the TST 507 (non-flow thru) that we got in 2010, and they're still going strong, though I've had to replace the batteries a couple of times.

Larry N. said:
The problem with that statement is that the built in sensors and reporting for the toad only talk to you when you are driving the toad -- they don't help at all while the toad is under tow.

We, too, have the TST 507 (non-flow thru) that we got in 2010, and they're still going strong, though I've had to replace the batteries a couple of times.

I must have misunderstood the OP. Where it says Tow Vehicle, I took that to mean a vehicle to tow something like a travel trailer and not something towed behind something else which seems to get referred to as a TOAD or dinghy.

OP, are you referring to a toad or a vehicle to tow something else?

I should have specified we have a Class A.

Hammster said:
We have the TST 507 TPMS system for our trailer. Since our trailer wheels have rubber valve stems I got the non-flow through (tamper resistant, nothing is "proof") because they weigh the least amount so put the least amount of weight on the rubber stems. All batteries were included and we've had the system a year and a half and haven't had to replace batteries in the sensors yet. The battery in the display is rechargeable so that's easy to do just by plugging in the 12V cord to the display and the 12V outlet in the truck.
https://www.amazon.com/Tire-Pressure-Monitor-System-Tst/dp/B00KPQZS2O/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1533207560&sr=8-10&keywords=tst+TPMS

Anyway, might want to wait and see what TV you get before deciding how many sensors to buy.

I must have misunderstood the OP. Where it says Tow Vehicle, I took that to mean a vehicle to tow something like a travel trailer and not something towed behind something else which seems to get referred to as a TOAD or dinghy.
In that case your statement would be fine, but obviously I took it as a motorhome, which the OP has confirmed. We both ass/u/me-d...  :-\

Back to jymbee: I don't know about other brands, bu at least with TST, you can buy more sensors at any time, and they can easily be incorporated in the monitor (just change some parameters), which can handle (for my 507) up to 22 tires. So if you're sure you'll soon have a toad then you may save a little hassle getting them all at once -- BTW, you can program the TST for a mode with the toad and for a mode without the toad and then quickly change modes without reprogramming.

Larry N. said:
with TST, you can buy more sensors at any time, and they can easily be incorporated in the monitor (just change some parameters),

you can program the TST for a mode with the toad and for a mode without the toad and then quickly change modes without reprogramming.

Same with Eezrv. Really comes down to which display you like best

We have a 10-sensor TST 507 system and are very satisfied with it. I chose the standard valve cap sensors for their compact size and light (less than 1/2 oz) weight. To make them even smaller and lighter, as well as easier to remove for airing up when needed, I removed the rotating security shells. That left the sensors about the same size as some of the fancier valve caps used today but less noticeable. And removing them is no different than removing a standard valve cap. In 10 years of TPMS use, sensor theft has been a non-issue, nor have I ever heard of anyone having one stolen.

ditto to Dutch
TST caps, without the security shell.  Easy to do, just remove two little screws

I'll add that I'm pretty sure all these brands use the same sensors...maybe different frequency or electronics maybe, but functionally the same so for questions regarding which style I'm pretty sure you'll get the same experience as us

I originally bought the flow through cells and installed them on the valve extenders, but have slowly changed all but two of them out to the buttons.

Had lots of problems with the extenders and the transmitter.  SOmetimes the transmitter wouldn't engage the little push rod to let the air out of the tires, and sometimes I think the push rod was extending out too far and sorta damaged the transmitters.  All of them are teh same in this regard.

Over time I had a few transmitters with their original batteries leak inside and corrode, some looked like water might have gotten in, and some were replaced because of apparent damage form the extenders.  I tried a couple different kinds of extenders.  I often had to remove teh flow throughs to get air into the tires, then when putting them back on I'd see some of these problems and even some failures.

I'm slow I guess, so it took me a long time to smarten up and just remove the wheel simulators for good so i could get my hand in, then trashed the extenders.  Also, you really only need to air up occasionally anyway, so there's little need for the flow through in my opinion.

Also, I have the system with the user replaceable batteries.  I remove my sensors when in storage, and we're only using the RV occasionally so I install them before trips.  I've had to replace batteries more than it seems like I should have.  It's easy but also a pain in the neck in one way because you often have to replace the o-ring & I have yet to find a local easy source to get them....small and odd size.
So
I have often wondered if I would have been better off with the factory replaceable battery system with batteries that supposedly last a lot longer.... I just don't know....

In my opinion the TPMS choice doesn't bear a lot of agonizing over.  The TPMS technology is mature now and most all the major brands work well.

Most people seem to prefer the replaceable battery type, though the long pasting permanents work out about the same cost over time. Which ever gives you a warm fuzzy...

Flow-through sensors are largely a feel-good thing of limited practical value, traded off against a larger and bulky sensor. If you have to add air often enough to make flow-thru sensors valuable, you have tire leakage problems that need fixing.

A "Mix" of anti-theft and flow-through sensors is just that - EEZTire puts 6 Flow-thru and 4 Antitheft together in one retail package. The notion is 6 FT  on the big RV tires and 4 smaller AT type for a toad.  The bigger motorhome wheels have a better chance of handling the flow-through type, but I would not assume they will fit ok on the rear duals.  Nor on gas chassis coaches with alloy wheel simulator wheel covers.

I didn't see any difference in removing standard TST 507 sensors without the security caps and removing the valve cap on a flow-thru sensor, so my choice was easy. As for costs, at about $9/10 batteries and annual changes, that's $45 over the typical 5 year life of the non-replaceable battery sensors in full time use. That's about the cost of replacing just one non-replaceable battery sensor as I recall.

one more thing I forgot to mention about the flow throughs
...and this could totally be user error.... (I'm the user)
When trying to air up through the flow through, I had a couple times when the flow rate was extremely slow so I ended up removing them to air up anyway.
And worse than that, I had a couple that alarmed as I was airing up through them, they stopped working, and I could never get them to work again.  Something about the air passing through seems to have damaged them.
  After those occasions, i have not even tried to air up through them again.

I figure high odds for user error, only because they still sell these things so other people 'must' be buying and using them successfully.(?)

Back
Top Bottom