Some people can't read English !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Prior member

We were at the Everglades National Park two days ago and entered at the southern entrance.
There was a big sign, (that you couldn't miss) that told the few things that were prohibited and one of them was "drones"
Later in the day we were at Flamingo sitting outside the store having an ice cream and heard a buzzing overhead.
Sure enough there was a young couple not to far from us that had one flying all over the place.
I was thinking they are probably the same type that text while driving !

Jack L

JackL said:
We were at the Everglades National Park two days ago and entered at the southern entrance.
There was a big sign, (that you couldn't miss) that told the few things that were prohibited and one of them was "drones"
Later in the day we were at Flamingo sitting outside the store having an ice cream and heard a buzzing overhead.
Sure enough there was a young couple not to far from us that had one flying all over the place.
I was thinking they are probably the same type that text while driving !

Jack L

Did the list also include Sling Shots?.....I'm thinking we could fix that Drone problem right quick..

It sounds like the same people who smoke outside a building entrance next to the no smoking sign. In my opinion, it's a selfishness. People seem to think they're the only ones that matter. It's one of the worst qualities a person can possess, yet it seems to be a growing problem.

We were at Death Valley in November in an end site looking over a large empty area. Guy came up with a big carrying case, pulled out a drone, and was getting ready to fly it. I hollered ?No drones in a National Park!? He said ?Sorry?, and packed it up. Camp host came over later and said he had been headed over to tell the guy the same thing, but I was faster. There are no drones allowed in any National Park!

I was in big cypress a part of the  everglades on Tuesday.  I wanted to see pink jeep camp ground and the other two near it.  I was in the car and wanted to see if I would be able to get my MH back there. ( I decided against it.  )..  well anyway.  There is a waterway along the road. There was a guy flying a drone over the water taking pix.  Its a national park..thats a no no
...  also  the GVT is considering allowing drones in some areas of national parks.  I havent heard much news on it lately ....

I do not have a drone.  However, the blanket prohibition partially came about after a couple crashed drones in Yellowstone.  In certain parks it actually makes sense, in other areas, not so much.  Other than some people may be bothered.  Hw about some drone friendly areas of the park?  Not the entire park, but a couple spots, where there are no animals to scare into stampeding, no hot springs to foul.  Fr those who abhor drones, there would be drone free majority of the park. 

As I said, I do not have a drone, but for me, I would like to watch one.

We can all get along if we try.

"Signs, signs signs everywhere there are signs"  There are also signs that govern speed limits on public roads, signs indicating dog owners must pick up after their dogs and dogs must be on a 6' leash at all times and the list goes on, yet for whatever reason, people choose not to follow them.  It is interesting to observe people complaining about one set of rules not being followed, yet other rules seem not to matter.  I do not own a drone, but I understand and support the good reasons for drones not being allowed in National Parks and as such if I did own one, I would obey said rules. 

Oldgator73 said:
People can read and they do comprehend English and signs. They just think the rules do not apply to them.

Some rules only apply under certain circumstances.  Speeding for example.  When you've observed one or two of your fellow freeway drivers stopped by a LEO.  Picking up after your pet when your neighbors are right behind you.  Having a beer by the fire pit in a National Park or other public park where drinking is not permitted when the ranger is near by unless he or she joins you.  Washing your RV at a private park that doesn't allow it when the managers aren't around. 

I used to own a drone but ended up selling it because so many people are irritated by them. And I'm not sure why exactly. I've heard they want privacy but when flying a drone its not very easy to see details and the last thing you really care about is people, it's all about the landscape. It's 90% a photography or videography reason why people use drones.  The drone sound can be annoying I suppose but if it's really about privacy I hope people realize everyone has cellphones and cameras and they are taking pictures and video on the ground (with probably greater detail).

I'm not saying to ignore rules or disagreeing with national parks having these rules. Rules are rules and I totally get that. I just don't understand why people get so upset over them. I'd rather have a drone fly by than a Harley rumbling down the street (I used to own a Harley also).

I don't believe drones should be flown over crowds ever (unless licensed and trained properly) but they are fun little devices that are actually pretty amazing tech wise.

If the handful of drone operators that fly over their neighbor's property while the neighbor's daughter is sunbathing and all the other invasive things they use them for would just use them responsibly, it wouldn't be an issue. Unfortunately, that's not the world we live in...

PancakeBill said:
Hw about some drone friendly areas of the park?  Not the entire park, but a couple spots, where there are no animals to scare into stampeding, no hot springs to foul.  Fr those who abhor drones, there would be drone free majority of the park. 

As I said, I do not have a drone, but for me, I would like to watch one.

We can all get along if we try.

I own and operate drones commercially but fortunately from a business perspective we live in a very rural area and don't don't often come up against many who object or any of the FAA restrictions re. airspace.

My personal option is that drones should absolutely be banned from operating in national or state parks in general. Possible exceptions might include special permission applied for and granted for specific purposes where the operators agree to abide by strict rules within the scope of their project.

Operations such as search & rescue missions, scientific studies, and forest fire emergencies can however be permitted.

I personally take a middle ground approach, maybe drones should be allowed, but only during certain hours,  and on certain days, like generators in camp grounds.  That way those people that are annoyed by drones don't have to constantly pestered by them buzzing around, yet those that want to fly them, and those that appreciate the photos and videos can also gain those benefits.  I for one like to see drone footage of places I am considering visiting, this includes RV parks, camp-grounds, etc.  For example such campground footage does a much better job than surface level photos or videos of showing the terrain, and what surrounds a campground.     

I have seen video of drones harassing wintering elk so they get a cool picture of the herd running. People have used them to view bird nests enough the parents abandon the nests. It happened with endangered species so it was a real loss. Drone operators have harrassed young mountain goats. It is not harmless.

UTTransplant said:
I have seen video of drones harassing wintering elk so they get a cool picture of the herd running. People have used them to view bird nests enough the parents abandon the nests. It happened with endangered species so it was a real loss. Drone operators have harrassed young mountain goats. It is not harmless.

I use one to drop open bottles testosterone gel in my neighbors pool......she has an amazing beard now!!

catblaster said:
  I use one to drop open bottles testosterone gel in my neighbors pool......she has an amazing beard now!!

And, when she retaliates with an open estrogen bottle, you'll have an amazing..........

smooth skin.  ;)

ArmorWrapGuy said:
the last thing you really care about is people, it's all about the landscape. It's 90% a photography or videography reason why people use drones.  The drone sound can be annoying I suppose but if it's really about privacy I hope people realize everyone has cellphones and cameras and they are taking pictures and video on the ground (with probably greater detail).

I'm not saying to ignore rules or disagreeing with national parks having these rules. Rules are rules and I totally get that. I just don't understand why people get so upset over them. I'd rather have a drone fly by than a Harley rumbling down the street (I used to own a Harley also).

Gizmo said:
It is interesting to observe people complaining about one set of rules not being followed, yet other rules seem not to matter.  I do not own a drone, but I understand and support the good reasons for drones not being allowed in National Parks and as such if I did own one, I would obey said rules.

Excellent points!  I too am amazed at the number of people willing to break the law when it is convenient to them but are critical of the next person.  Think about that the next time you are going just a 'little' over the maximum legal speed limit. No doubt that the media and a few bad apples have created very negative press for drones.  It might help if people would educate themselves about drones instead of jumping on the 'kill 'em all' bandwagon.

I drive over the speed limit. Especially on a divided highway or interstate. I don?t think I am invading anyone?s privacy when I break the speed limit. If someone is flying a drone over me they are most likely taking a video or a photo. I have nothing to hide. I?m 99.9% sure i?m Not doing anything illegal. But how you would react if someone walked up to your campsite and took out their phone and started taking video or photos of you and your family. You might get a tad suspicious and maybe ask them the refrain and leave. Is there a difference between flying a drone overhead and videoing and standing in front of my CS and doing it?

I had that happen at a rest stop. We stopped for lunch and a couple with friend came up to our MH and started taking pics of themselves next to our entry door. Very weird.

I've seen some very cool video taken by drones on you tube. I would like to share some personal video's of places we've been. I don't have a drone but seen the attraction. Rules are rules and for those that follow them regards a drone, please don't criticize them for using them in a responsible manner. Problem is responsible manner is subjective.

Back
Top Bottom