somewhat unique water issue-air in pipes-HELP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nicbennett

Hello everyone.  My wife and I are living in a stationary fifth wheel connected via a hose to a standard outdoor garden hose.  We are drawing off of a well on someone else's property.  Our problem is that water spurts(very badly!) when running.

Because of financial reasons, fixing whatever is wrong with the pipes and is letting air in them is out of the question, so what I was wondering is if there is any type of hose connection that would relieve that problem as the water enters the fifth wheel.  I'm thinking something along the lines of those adapters they sell to lower water pressure, but that might have a valve to let air out or something. 

Does this exist?

PS-I know I could just fill the fresh water tank and use that, but being that it's wintertime I'd prefer to live with the spurting than have to stand in the rain every day to fill it

Also, can anyone recommend a good filter that is inexpensive?  We have a lot of sediment, and would like to not. 

Cheapest way is to go to Home Depot or Lowes and buy a standard canister filter. The sediment filters under 2 for $10.00. You will need to stop in the plumbing section and buy 1/2" IP fittings to convert the inlet and outlet to connect to a standard hose.

You could buy the canister already set up with hose fittings at an RV Parts store but it will cost more.

I think I answered this same question elsewhere..  There are two possible answers to your problem

ONE: If your on-board supply tank is empty, and I suspect it is, and your on-board water pump is ON, it may be pumping air into the line.. Turn it off.

More than likely: You do not have a problem, your host does, as they said there his well may be failing and in serious need of attention.

Best option if this is the case is to fill and use the on-board tank.

IF your host is not having the same issues in his house,  then it is likely your water pump is on.

Recalling well water systems... There is one possible other answer, has to do with exactly where your water supply is tapped off the lines, but I would be real surprised if that was the case (If the pump is not a submurged type but a "Surface" mounted "Jet pump" As we had on the farm there may be an air injection device on the pump,  If your tap is between the pump and the pressure tank.. it MIGHT be possible.

On the other hand, I seriously doubt that is the case.

It is much more likely the air is coming from the well system than your RV.  Without the RV pump running, any hole in the RV system would be spouting water rather than sucking air.

I do agree with Gary, but am covering all bases.

Easy way to tell if it's internal or external to the RV (If it's your pump)  Unhook and run just the hose, no RV, just water the ground a bit, if you have the problem there, it's not your problem it is your hosts.

Or better yet,  Fill the on-board tank and use the water pump... This solves your problem,, Host still has to fix his.

An accumulator tank may help.  Normally they're filled with water and used as a reservoir to reduce pump cycling.  But if a tank was installed vertical to the plumbing, I would think any air pockets in the incoming water would tend to accumulate in the tank instead of passing through to the faucet.

Eventually the tank will fill with air, then you'll have to turn off the external water, open a faucet and let the air drain out.

Lou Schneider said:
... if a tank was installed vertical to the plumbing, I would think any air pockets in the incoming water would tend to accumulate in the tank instead of passing through to the faucet.

Eventually the tank will fill with air, then you'll have to turn off the external water, open a faucet and let the air drain out.

Can you explain the process of draining the air from the tank?

Back
Top Bottom